My name is Eddie and as soon as I saw this guest article thing on Faeit 212 I had to write something worthy of such an opportunity.This article is about all the things that make 40k great.


Hey guys. Seeing as it's Valentines day (well, was) I thought it would be great to gather some like minded single friends (Yep, that's pretty much all my friends at the moment!) and go to Games Workshop for a little Valentines Day massacre, of a sort. Unfortunately, only me and good friend Alfie ended up going and seeing as he has just got back in to the hobby we decided to scrap the game and get some painting done instead.

It was while we where there that the inspiration for this post popped in to my head. Seeing all the negativity surrounding the 'GW trying to trademark Space Marine' thing on the blogosphere lately, and also reading endless articles on how unbalanced the game is; and how long it takes to paint up a half decent army; and how much it costs to just get in to the hobby, has made me want to sit down and write a list, somewhat, of everything about 40k and other wargames that is good. Things that make us want to start and keep us going when times are bad and keep us buying models to the bitter end. So here goes:

1. The people. The friends. While there are people out there who are dicks about the rules and how much money they've spent on their army, and you'll be lucky to walk in to a GW store without being swamped by a rabble of annoying kids, there are lots and lots of really cool guys who play 40k, and playing games and having a laugh with them is always great fun. I also know that there is at least one person I'd never even talk to if it wasn't for the game, and I think that's just fantastic. Also, it allows you to start great, playful rivalries and vendettas, and make great allies and comrades in arms with others.


2. The internet. I know that without the many people who give up time they could be painting, playing or doing something else to write articles and upload videos about 40k my painting skills would be awful, I probably wouldn't even know how to drybrush, and my life would be quite a bit less interesting. Seeing all the fantastic content that people have created makes you want to give something back, which is why I started this blog. I haven't given much back yet but I'm working on it. Also, getting comments with praise for your work or even criticism on how you could improve is awesome.

3. The creativity. There aren't many pursuits in life that allow quite as much imagination and creativity as our hobby. Not only do we get to decide what we want our force to look like, paint it in whatever colours you can dream of, and play games of your own design with it; but you can develop epic tales of glory and conquest as well as tragic stories of defeat and the deaths of mighty heroes by the dozen. Some people even go so far as to write entire novels about them; I mean, just look at the Black Library website. All those books, that amazing artwork, were created based on this wonderful game. Not to mention the fan fiction.


4. The events. Tournaments, official or not, allow many people from all over the place to gather in one room and play some games. The chances are you would never have met any of them without it, and even if you did, would probably not have discovered their love for the hobby without it. Also the number of game stores and clubs that have opened to provide people with places to play is simply staggering. These events give us exciting places to go on weekends that would otherwise have been dull and rainy. They give us deadlines to keep us motivated to paint our armies. .

I'm going to stop there. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and in fact I openly encourage you to expand upon it. Please leave a comment below and tell me if you enjoyed the article and what things you think make our hobby great.

This is our hobby. And it's brilliant. 

Eddie is an overly excitable Space Wolves collector who battle damages his tanks so much you cant even see what color it used to be. He enjoys blogging and writing other things but isn't very good at doing them on time. He occasionally documents his miniature  musings on his blog: http://eddielegionofone.blogspot.co.uk/ and would love it if you checked it out some time. 
.

23 Comments:

  1. I definitely agree about the people. Just last month I was waiting at an airport, lazily browsing Warseer killing time when a random dude starts talking 40K with me. Turned out to be a really nice guy, and there went that boring hour of waiting! Just one example of how the hobby brings people together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the internet is the worst part of the game. 3/4 of the people are trolls who perpetually talk about how much they hate the game and GW, and then the only strategy articles are written by the hardest of hardcore tournament players.

    While the internet allows people from all over the world to communicate, it has disintegrated many of their ability to engage with people in real life. No social skills whatsoever, and this "smack-talk" culture that has been bred behind the safety of a computer just makes every gamer seem like a dick.

    Access to lots of pictures and army lists doesn't really outweigh the fact that most people online are complete and total d-bags about the hobby.

    P.S. Those whiners will continue to play for 10-15 years mind you, just talking a lot tougher than they are.

    "[insert rule/army] is broken! Stupid GW!!!11!!!!1"

    3 months later...

    "GW adjusted [insert rule/army]? That means I have to change the way I play? What's the point of sticking with an army if it's not going to be 100% exactly the same forever?!?!?! You mean I have to rethink what I do? STUPID GW!!!!!111!!!11!!1"

    Oh, and how dare GW try to make a profit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately true!

      It does seem that people - especially the ultra competitive sort - seem to get deeply upset when they have to rethink their tactics or the army they thought would let them automatically win is changed, or another unit changed even remotely in a fashion they disagree with you'd think the world was ending for the outpouring of bilge.

      Do GW charge a lot? Yes, but we choose to buy the models.

      Delete
    2. Agree 100%, I just avoid BoLs completely, that helps a lot.

      Delete
    3. Agree 100%, I just avoid BoLs completely, that helps a lot.

      Delete
    4. Personally I'd say you're confusing the internet as a whole with the two separate communities. I blog because I dislike forums for the number of trolls/asshats. I find the blogging community to be much better. Prepared to share ideas and discuss things properly.

      Granted the line gets blurred, as Natfka has been victim of, but generally blogs attract less of the smack.

      we all get frustrated from time to time because GW do something moronic but for the most part we must enjoy it or we wouldn't be sat typing about it.

      Delete
    5. I agree, just look at the new flyer compendium release. People are picking on every little thing with it.

      So yeah the Internet makes the hobby really frustrating at times (if you spend time here :P)

      Delete
    6. There's the trolls that complain abot GW and then there's the trolls who complain about the people who are complain about GW. Whats the difference?

      Delete
  3. we can like or dislike anyone.. but there is one awfull truth. GW thinks that they can do ridiculusly ugly miniatures and sell them just because they are great in battle. thats a real shame, there are so many supercool minis in other systems and this way or another u need damn helchicken.. weak...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! C'mon guy it is a business and no business gets everything right. Everyone likes different things different models if you don't like it don't buy it. Horses for courses. Speaking of which at least we know what we are consuming!
      On the matter of heldrakes I beat a couple of pals with heldrake chaos list and necrons with a flyer less wolf/sallie list. Things are never OP in this game just deadly in the right hands!

      Delete
    2. heldrake is ugly, stormraven is even worse, damned wolf cavalry, stormtalon, mutilitataors (whatever), bloodleters and tons and tons of other ridiculus crap. 30% minis are just ugly.. if not just ridiculus.

      Delete
    3. Sure some models aren't what they could be (mutilators the first example in my mind always!) but GW does still make gorgeous new sculpts that outclass many other manufacturers. Plus GW brings Forgeworld and you can't knock them (as long as you ignore the price of course!)

      Delete
    4. The only thing I don't like about GW minis are their use of "heroic" scale that makes many infantry models awkward and unproportionate. Meanwhile Wyrd and Kingdomdeath make GW infantry look like children's toys.

      Delete
  4. Nice read, mate! And couldn't agree more =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this hobby becomes really great when you limit your exposure to negativity.

    I have left the hobby twice before because of overly competitive people and people that have more fun complaining about their hobby than enjoying it.

    This time, I only play with like-minded, friendly, fun players and 40k's been the best it's ever been for me. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Andy! There are a lot of haters out there, you just need to try to limit your exposure to them.

      Delete
  6. Hey guys thanks for all the comments! I never even realised this article had been put up until I noticed the massive increase of followers on my blog. Now I feel inspired to post more! While I agree that there are lots of people out there that like nothing more than to endlessly criticise everything GW does and still buy their stuff anyway, if you ignore them and only read the nice articles the internet can really be a great place to be. I don't like overly competitive people and just like to paint for the love of painting and playing for a laugh and some good fun! Besides, it's basically impossible for me to win a game with my terrible dice rolling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, I only got back into playing Autumn last year and haven't won a game yet. Still had a blast playing though, and I've now got so much more purpose about my painting because i want to get stuff finished for my next match!

      Delete
  7. But those things are connected with all miniatures or wargames. What makes GW better than others? Only positive is that Wrahammer is popular and so easy to find anyone to play with and places to buy it.
    But those endles articles are true... sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. at the end of the day the hobby is what you make of it i have collected for over 10 years and im only now seriously theming my armies and such people who say this hobby is dying every few months get old fast. ill admit it i used to bitch about the prices alot especially as a guard player :P but at the end of the day the 10 guys i now get in a box have EVERY option available to them not just 1 or 2. GW make the best minis for me and the stories i have grown up with imagining they bring them to life and so they should be able to ask a decent price look at it this way.

    you play magic or collect comics or something do you current cards or comics stay current long nope models you buy from GW last permanently on the tabletop you spend 1000 on an army you use for 5 years and dont buy much for it then wonder why its gone up because in 5 years there are alot more people playing collecting buying the models your army is made from.

    TLDR: GW is expensive yes but in the long run it isnt as expensive as people think it is. make it fun for you or dont collet imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at it this way, I buy a tactical squad of marines (for example), it costs £23 from GW. Even assuming I give them just a quick paint scheme, and spend no more than an hour assembling and painting them, that's 10 hours of entertainment for £23 not to mention all the hours playing games afterwards.

      Compare that to the cinema, where a 3D ticket costs over £10 for a film. If you're lucky and it's 2 hours long, thats £50 for the same amount of entertainment.

      Don't even get me started on the pub, >£4 for a drink that lasts 1/2 an hour? £80+.

      Far as I'm concerned, for the amount of time i spend on my hobby, it's pretty good value!

      Delete
  9. I spend a lot on comics, and hardly ever in my 30yrs collecting have I seen a bad job in editing. $50 codex DA and all those mistakes!?! Piss poor... For shame. The company needs new leadership!

    ReplyDelete
  10. story i hear about that was that the printing company got the 2nd to final draft and not the final one the next batch of that codex might have that fixed up but it is poor ill agree on that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...