This weeks rumor mill was in full force with lots of rumors regarding the next two codex releases Tau and Chaos Daemons. I am also moving full forward ahead at getting the various model projects I have been sitting on, and making some good progress at it.

Presence of Faeit is my weekly editorial. I generally report during the week what is going on, and today is my day to comment on what exactly it is that I am thinking of.


Tau Rumors
The Tau rumors we have been seeing are early and in fact are playtest rumors. The rumors are all over the map, and regarding many things, but as it was discovered, there were three playtest rule sets, so the rumors are giving us quite the variations. (example is the different stat lines we have seen for the Tau Uber suit).

I do really wish we had a better name for the Tau Uber suit, as I am tired of the name it currently has in the rumor mill. On that front, shaso_iceborn over on Warseer did have something to say regarding the name of the suit.


I have heard a couple of names thrown around, the one that I hear the most is the Tau "E.R.S." or Emergency Retaliation Suit, although I highly doubt that will be the final name. (or at least I hope not as a couple others sounded better to me)

The Tau ERS or emergency retaliation suit is much better than Uber Suit. Anything is better than Uber Suit.

Otherwise, Tau is one of those armies that I am getting excited to see hit the field with a new codex. Although I personally consider them a strong ally, they will be able to stand on their own much better with a new codex and a lot of new options.

Chaos Daemons and a Good Marketing Strategy
Chaos Daemons are right around the corner, and I expect that we will be seeing something on them in the next couple weeks. Assuming of course that the Chaos Daemon codex is coming out at the end of this month. (march release). I know a lot of people that will be severely disappointed if that does not happen.

I really think the codex needs a new release, and if indeed a new release is coming, I think its a very masterful plan on the part of Games workshop.

Look at it like this.......
A White Dwarf release 6 months or so before a release is smart. It gets people digging out their old armies and buying new models. Then a codex is released 6 months later, and bam, people are creating an ever expanding Chaos Daemon army. I know so many people that fell in love with Daemons, and started a new army just because of the White Dwarf release (they had an interest in them before as well, but the white dwarf insert sealed the deal).  Its quite a good marketing strategy, and it really gets the hype going for a particular army.

I think Games Workshop would be wise to follow this model. Not only for the excitement it creates in the hobby, but to help expand peoples armies and to start new ones.

There will be people that believe that this kind of strategy is just to steal their money. Well, show some restraint in your spending.

Tough Topics and Comments
This week was a lot of controversial posts, regarding Trademarks, and an Iran stealth fighter.

Regarding the Trademark "Space Marine" for the amazon removal of the book "Spot the Space Marine", we followed the drama all the way to what appears to be the end of it. At least I hope so, because its really a non issue subject on my end, and all it does is bring out a bunch of inflamed comments about something that does not really matter for us.

The other issue with the subject, is really I do not have the time that often to go through and moderate 100
+ comments per post that this subject has seemed to generate. I have gotten to see some of them, but moderating a subject like this is not really going to get us anywhere. (hence why I have not been removing any flaming comments.). Lets just hope that this subject is over, so we can move on to more important things, like watching the grass grow outside.

Then we come to the whole Iran stealth fighter post. The first thing I thought of when I saw this plane, was the awkwardness of the stormraven, and that this plane puts its design to shame.

I am a news junkie (real world news) first and foremost, which is somehow why the format on this site works for our hobby. No other game in the world has the kind of news and rumors that warhammer 40k has. Its quite amazing, and I find it fascinating. So when something in the real world reminds me of something in 40k, I have in the past brought these events up in posts. Probably not as much in the last year as I used to, but I used to do it a lot more.

Note that the Iran stealth fighter post really is not political, but a lot of commenters spun it into a political post. Those that consider it warmongering, or have some conspiracy theory about it, are really reading a lot more into it than is really posted. I find it funny that some even went as far as declaring it a Fox News story, when in reality the best article on the subject was from CNN, and literally lots of online news blogs covered the subject.

So for those that forgot to read the article, and think there is a political motivation behind it, or consider it warmongering, or are showing their hatred for others by declaring it a fox news story.... I really don't mind you posting those accusations, as they were quite entertaining and really made my morning before I had my caffeine.

My Projects
I have some serious projects that I am working on, and have an urgency to complete.

1. Dark Eldar
Converting an old 3rd edition army over to a hopefully competitive 6th edition army list. Its a lot of work, and until I get some models done, the army is rather weak sauce. I literally have 160+ 3rd edition warriors, lots of bikes etc from 10+ years ago that I am working on.

I love Dark Eldar, and getting my vehicles done, is a huge push in getting the army ready for the tabletop. The vehicle conversions are the most time consuming, so they were my biggest roadblock in accomplishing this. Now with them mostly done, and just in need of painting, I am excited that some serious progress is finallu complete.

2. Dark Age
Now that I have mostly completed the 500pt Skarred force I have with paint, I need to wrap up the Brood force, so that I have two painted forces for demo games with friends at my house. I am really starting to like the Brood, but some of the other models from other forces, like the Skarred Abomination, are just too beautiful to pass up on playing some.

Dark Age is a beautiful game, that I am thoroughly enjoying. It is quite the amazing game, not just with the models, but in the game mechanics and background, and provides a good alternate to 40k.

So this week, maybe even later this evening, I will be getting some more painting done on the Brood, so that I can get in some battle reports with painted models.

3. Terrain
I am back to the terrain building process, and need to get some serious terrain work going to have some variables on the tabletop that will work for both Dark Age and 40k. It looks like a friend of mine has some plaster molds that I will be borrowing to get some ruins going in the next week or so.

4. Imperial Guard/ Grey Knights
My competitive list that I am working on, is making good progress, however, a lot of painting lies in wait. I need to dig in and get some serious infantry painted. 40 Conscripts and a mass of 30 plasma gunners makes up the majority of what I need to get painted.



So with all that said, I need to get off the computer and get my butt to work.



35 Comments:

  1. Honestly I dont think the look of the stormraven is that bad. I think it looks pretty cool in terms of the 40k universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I don't get what people's problem with it is--lots of 40k stuff looks ridiculous if you look at it with real world standards.

      Delete
    2. That chapterhouse conversion kit really makes it look good though. If I ever got myself a stormraven, I'd definitely have to get that too (assuming they're still available).

      Delete
    3. I like the stormraven, as long as you keep in mind that 40k vehicles are smaller than they should be.

      Delete
  2. I thought the 'stealth fighter' post was interesting, but then again I like a little diversity in postings. People need to settle down some and not get so excited when a blog goes a little off topic every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Stormraven in the sense that I like the Space Marine tanklike aesthetic and that the Stormraven fits that

    If I saw something like a Storm Raven in a Tau or Eldar Army, it would cause me a great deal of confusion, and thus dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daemons codex/armybook would not be good only because of WD update creating hype beforehand, but because it would complement CSM/WoC extremely well, getting people playing one side of Chaos looking into the other as allies and/or eventual/potential second army. The Mutalith Vortex Beast in all its insane ossumness would actually fit better among a Daemon army than mere mortal followers of Chaos. (Even though I'm usually put off by Chaos stuff, I'm tempted to buy one to make a tentacle-trope diorama involving it and some Blood Bowl cheerleaders...)

    Matter of fact, I would be expecting vanilla SM and IG codexes (codices?) released quite close to each other with similar kind of synergy in mind - and whaddyaknow, The List would support this hypothesis, placing both (roughly) in the first half of 2014. (Which would be then followed by Orks/BT pairing, complementing each other as mortal enemies and perhaps grisly trophy racks and the like.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Daemons codex is a great idea on GW's part. They, and Chaos Marines, are the primary antagonists of the 40k world and need some strong attention. Daemons are not very popular in much of the world and that needs to change, we should see them pop up all over. Hopefully new models will help do that. It's a smart decision since it syncs well with the latest releases.

    That said, I think fans need to remember what a precarious situation GW is actually in. Financially, 5th edition was a huge failure with the companies value remaining rock bottom after 4th edition. The new 6th edition has saved the company and finally brought up value however, it's still not up to 4th edition values and has been slumping lately. They need to be careful to not drop back down again which they have been the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to argue with you, Harley (which I know I've been doing lately), but I don't understand where people are coming from when they say things like "the company's value remained rock bottom after 4th edition". I just looked at a 5 year chart of GW's share price, and eyeballing it, it went from just under £300 to close at £626 this past Friday. That's doubling during the lifespan of 5th (which I hated), which is pretty darn good. I wish my own company's stock had more than doubled over the last 5 years! I follow a lot of stocks, and I can't think of that many that have doubled over the last 5 years of the Great Recession...

      True, the price has slumped somewhat in recent months, but pretty much everything took a big hit after the USA elections in November, and are just now coming back. Also, looking at GW's 5 year chart, I see a pattern of the price dipping at/after the New Year. So... From that quick-and-dirty analysis, I don't understand why so many folks feel that GW is doing poorly financially...

      Delete
    2. You need to look at the big picture, farther back than just 5 years. My statement is based on previous major edition releases, stock history and other major releases by GW (WHFB for example). While the global climate does make an impact, GW's history of value is closer tied to their major releases, with major dips between each. Let's take a look...

      3rd edition 40k was released in 1998 and GW stocks soar to the second highest in the history of the company (812.5), slowly dropping the next couple years.

      When 4th edition 40k is released, between 2004 and 2005 GW value skyrockets higher than ever (884). Towards 2006 stocks slump with the waves but eventually settle very low toward the end of the decade.

      5th edition was financially a failure because unlike every other previous major 40k release, GW does not see a major swelling in sales and business. In fact, in the 2 years directly after the edition is released, there is very very little growth for the company at all.

      The only thing which helped revive GW was the release of 8th ed WHFB and revitalizing of several older armies including Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar etc in the 40k range at the beginning of this new decade.

      Now finally 6th edition has brought up value closer again to 4th edition periods seen around 2004. As we have seen though, this bump won't last forever. We need GW to ride this wave and hold on to the positive consumer action as long as they can with 6th edition. Now is not the time for dangerous PR motions like the Spots fiasco.

      Delete
    3. Like you said, you have to look at the big picture: 5th Edition came out near the end of the summer of 2008. A few short months later the financial crisis hit, and the Great Recession began. ALL stocks took a major hit at that time, and stayed down for a while. So I don't think you can attribute GW's share price dropping in that time period solely on 5th Edition. You have to take the macro economic picture into account.

      I agree with you, tho, that WHFB 8th Edition saved their bacon when it came out, and that DE, GK & Necrons were well done (& well received). And I also agree that 6th is a huge improvement over 5th. I stopped playing 5th and waited a year and a half for 6th to come out, and the CSM codex, and I'm loving it!

      But that's why I only looked at the last 5 years, because beyond that there are too many other macro factors that come into play when it comes to a stock's price.

      Also, I don't think this current situation with Spots is going to do them any lasting harm. It'll probably blow over and be forgotten in a few weeks, unless EFF drags it out into the Court of Public Opinion again...

      What's really going to matter, I think, is whether they continue the trend that they seem to have established with the CSM & DA codices, and crank out more codices that are on the same/similar power level at a rapid pace. That will go a long way towards riding the 6th Edition wave. That, and cooling it when it comes time for the annual price hike. I think if they slow down on raising prices on existing kits, they'll win some good will from their customer base and end up selling more than they would otherwise, and show an increase in profits from that. That's how I'd play it, if it were my decision, but I don't get to look at their books so I don't know where they need to raise prices this May to make up for any increases in costs associated with, well, whatever it is that's gone up for them (just like every other company)...

      Delete
    4. Imo its Way to Early to say 6th was a Win or fail for GW. And i disagree on 5th being a fail. As far as i read it was rather Good compared to 3ed & 4th... Ofc those greedy GW Guys Never get enough :D

      I doubt this Flyer BuY Ed will be better for GW... Dexes are lamé so far and they lose out on Tanks now. Dont See how they are makeing more now! its Not like more people are playing or that we have more Money. I rather think more People are Leaveing the hobby under 6th.

      Also i dont care about GW Sales, becaus the prices go up anyways.

      Delete
    5. Are you Guys Looking at the Stock value and translateing it into Sales? :D

      You do know Stockvalue is driven by demand Not by Sales. Sales Reports make People want to by more Stock... Putting up the Stockvalue. But that doesnt say the Stockvalue indicates Sales. Its driven by Spekulation and in this small companys case also by GW giveing Out more Stock or buying it up.


      As far as Sales go. With dexes like CsM and DA Sales Could go up for GKs and Crons but Not for DAs and CSM. Those dexes are like toxic wast. i dont See a bright Future for GW Profits. But its their Bad for forceing Flyers & AA on People and driveing People Out of the Hobby with massiv nerfs to vehicles.

      Delete
    6. Go away, Warlord-Troll, we were having a nice discussion...

      Stock prices are determined, for the most part, by EPS and what Mr. Market thinks the company is going to be worth. One is looking back (EPS) at recent performance, and the other is looking forward. With GW's share price more than doubling in the last 5 years, and still trending upwards along that slope (accounting for seasonal dips, one of which we are presently in, and recent market volatility, meaning the 2012 November elections), it appears that the market thinks GW is doing just fine. Of course, we'll have to wait a year or two to see if 6th has a net positive effect on EPS, but from a player's perspective, I and everyone else I play with are tickled pink with 6th vis-a-vis 5th...

      Now go back under your bridge...

      Delete
    7. I would agree with you Welch as to the recession comment... however, if you look at the history you will see that the recession is not the only time GW has struggled recently. The recession was actually better for the company than the mid 90s or early 2000s when the company was doing truly abysmally with no recession to cause it. The value shows that the company rises and falls with each major release.

      Of course, I am interpreting these statistics through my own perspective. However, as someone that has been following 40k for a decade now, and has had personal stock investments valuing in 6 figures on the market during that time, I consider that opinion an educated one. Take it for what you will.

      Delete
    8. Then we are in similar circumstances with regard to our time in 40K and our portfolios, Harley...

      I'm really not interested in how the company performed in the mid 90s or early 2000s, as there's been a considerable amount of turnover in their creative pool since that timel, and the products they're producing today are far superior to even what they were making 5 years ago. Would you agree on that point? Just look at the current Daemons codex and compare it to the new CSM & DA codices.

      I'm really only discussing the last 5 years, and if you look at the 5 year chart, the stock has climbed steadily from just under £300 to £626, with slight cyclical dips along the way. But if you were to put those data points into Excel and plot a trend line, you would see the slope of the trend line very nearly matching the price line. That's all I'm saying here...

      Things were much different 20 years ago on many fronts, but when I look at a stock I don't judge it as much on where it was 20 years ago and what it was doing then within relatively short periods of time as much as what it's done "recently", and in the context of my comments,"recently" means the past 5 years...

      Delete
    9. Take a room you too -_-

      Funny how you agree and call me a troll.
      Still you fail to Draw a conection from Stock to Sails or Profits!
      volum of Sales was up in 5th

      Delete
  6. With regard to the possible/upcoming Chaos Daemons codex, has anyone else noticed that all the rumors we've gotten lately are just about new models, and none about rules? Why is that? If a new dex was coming out, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of rules-based rumors?

    Anyone want to take a stab at that?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've picked up on the biggest clue that daemons aren't going to be released next month as everyone expects! i think it's more likely to be the flyer wave discussed previously with daemons following month (april) but who knows...

      Delete
  7. I think people complain about GW stealing their money because of their competitive pricing. GW even said themselves that the more useful a unit is in the game, they will price it higher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.... If only that was True the other Way around! :D
      Darktalon is Not Good in Game Even if they reduce the Price by 50%

      Delete
    2. Agree with this. However the price disparity between the razorwing and dakkajet and the Heldrake and Valkyrie is difficult to explain then. They all have pretty decent rules, but the heldrake is £45 with the Valk at £41, and the other two are £27.50? The amount of extras the ork one in particular comes with is crazy - so its not even about size or weight of plastic.

      Delete
    3. And the Helldrake have less plastic than the Valkyrie.

      Delete
    4. Its new
      Plastic prices go up
      The other Kits will follow


      Delete
  8. Of course: we're not buying miniatures by the pound like green beans at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "At least I hope so, because its really a non issue subject on my end, and all it does is bring out a bunch of inflamed comments about something that does not really matter for us."

    It concerns me greatly that you don't think GW swinging their legal might and deep pockets like a sledgehammer, and targeting that sledgehammer squarely on an independent artist, is something that isn't worth talking about/doesn't affect you.

    This is par for the GW course. They send a cease & desist letter to someone, with a vague threat of legal action if said other party does not comply, and the other party is given no choice because they do not have the money to fight GW.

    All it accomplishes is to scare creative people away from what they should have the right to create.

    To say it's not worth talking about, and to go on buying the company's models, is a vote to endorse such practices. Many people in our community have taken this as an opportunity to rethink what kind of company it is that they are giving their money to, and whether they are comfortable doing so.

    As a writer and a modeler, I have decided that I can no longer support Games Workshop.

    What I think should be taken from the Spots the Space Marine case is this:
    Someone has finally been able to stand up to Games Workshop, and in doing so, she has shown that GW's legal grounding in these cases is not as solid as they like to think it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet another "inflamed comment about a subject that does not rapeally matter to us". LOL.

      Go ahead, Drew, stop buying GW products. But while you're at it, stop frequenting and commenting on this website, since you won't be buying GW products anymore, you really shouldn't care what they do with their IP, now should you? I mean, if you're going to cut the cord, then cut it, walk away, and don't look back...

      Unless you feel like you need to be GW's watchdog to make sure they don't flex their oh-so-incredible legal muscle again and threaten to squash "free speech"...

      Yeah, right...

      Having free speech does not give one the right to yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, and it doesn't give anyone the right to steal someone else's IP, regardless of whether you think they deserve to have the right to own that IP. As a writer myself, I know that I have to respect others' IP, including making proper references to previously published works in my own articles, or face the consequences... Being a small, independent writer does not liberate me from my legal obligations to respect others' IP rights...

      Delete
    2. @jdwelch62: Just out of curiosity, who do *you* think invented the term 'Space Marine'?

      And who do *you* think 'stole' it?

      Delete
    3. Just out of curiosity, why do you think that has anything to do with it?

      Delete
    4. Funny how people are still claiming GW has a legal right to defend their IP when Amazon has stopped backing their play. Maybe the massive international corporation, that's probably extremely well versed in trademark law and has little to nothing to gain from this fight, saying that they were mistaken in their removal of the book should be a sign that GW doesn't actually have a legal leg to stand on. I'll have to see how things play out, since I'm no more of an expert on trademark law than anyone else who posts here is, but I'm thinking poor analogies and repeated typing of the letters I and P does not a valid point make.

      Delete
    5. @Lars:

      I don't really know who "invented" the term Space Marine, but you don't have to have invented something to hold a trade mark on it. That's a point that keeps getting lost on people. You sometimes get a patent on something you've invented, but that's different from a trade mark.

      @Volo:

      Similar comment to you. Don't confuse trade mark law with copyright law, which is an area that Amazon probably has more experience with than TM law.

      Look, none of us know the real reasons why things have happened the way they have, we just know what we've been told, and that is highly filtered and distorted on all sides. Maybe we'll never hear another thing about this whole situation. I certainly don't know, and I really don't care, but my personal opinion is that GW wasn't being a mustache-twirling villain out to get some indie writer for shits and giggles; they were just doing what they thought was right, even if that turned out to be wrong. Can any of you say that that hasn't happened to you? That at some point in your life you did something that you thought was the right thing to do, but it turned out you were wrong? Why can't you give GW, or any other faceless corporation, for that matter, that benefit of the doubt? Instead, too many of you are very quick to point fingers and cry "Foul!", when you don't have all the facts. Think about how you'd feel if the roles were reversed...

      The only fact that I know about GW and the term Space Marine is that they hold the trade mark for the term in some media in some countries. Whether that extends to ebooks or not is not for you or I to decide. But I think the author in question showed poor judgement when she chose the title of her book, and I hope I would never make a similar error in judgement. But, who know?... Life happens!...

      :-)

      Delete
    6. How am I confusing trademark law with copyright law? Since Amazon's business deals with both I'm sure they have a basic understanding of both. More knowledge of one doesn't indicate a lack of knowledge in the other. And while you're right, we don't know the exact details of what went on, so all we can see is an author who's only "poor judgment" was choosing a generic term for her title that had been in use for decades, maybe she should have checked for registered trademarks, but I can't blame her for thinking such a generic term couldn't be trademarked, and then a company who's "doing the right thing" is shutting down somebody's intellectual property without having any real backing to stand on. Also, while I agree I've done some things I've later wished I hadn't, turns out I've never shut down somebody's livelihood, and, here's the big thing to me, if I did, I would apologize for my foul, maybe try to make amends. We haven't heard a peep out of GW since this started.

      Delete
  10. I thought the Iran stealth fighter comment section was quite humorous. You would think that a group of hobbyists who spend endless hours with models would be able to spot and grin at what most deem a poor aircraft model.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Best Porn Star Sunny leone Hot news and hot Pictures, Sunne Leone Porn Pictures and Videos
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want to offer for you a user-friendly platform to businesses and individuals to Post Free Ads.
    Post Free Ads or get free account via Facebook Login in one click.
    Get more with free advertising at www.postallads4free.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...