It was time to do some thoughts on some of these 6th edition rules that have people freaking out. I want to deal with my thoughts on several of these rules, because at their heart, we do not have the full rules sitting in front of us, and some logic or caution is needed to get through them.

Now these are not new rumors, but instead a look at how the new rumors could shape up. Remember please that we do not know any of these rules in their entirety. Instead we (myself included at times) have been in a general panic because we see these rules through the eyes of 5th edition.


•Psychic powers are selected during deployment. (except Grey Knights)
We have heard over and over about random psychic powers. My first thought like the rest of you, was OMG.... F me. OK, I'm never taking a psyker again. Then I drank some coffee and settled down somewhat, and then freaked out some more. Finally though I thought about it, read some more, and realized with some confidence, that we are only seeing part of the rules.

-Each Discipline will have a "Default" power and a set of others that you will roll for each game.

So what we are looking at is you get to choose your primary discipline, probably some choices from your codex that you pay for in points, and then you get some other options that will be randomly chosen from your discipline. That is how I see it coming to pass. The way I see this rule coming is that psykers will have more powers available. The minor ones in your discipline will just be additional and random powers for your psykers.

I see the possibility of additional minor powers as a more flexible and more powerful addition to the game


•Random Charge Lengths are in
Ok, this one has assault armies all cramped up. Once again we are going off of assumed this is the rule in its entirety. I have heard that difficult terrain no longer slows you down. No rolling to see how far you can go. Add to this that I think you will have a minimum assault range+ a random additional dice to that distance, and you have assault armies looking nasty again.

I just do not think we are seeing the whole picture. It could very well be several different directions with this rule, including you always get your movement, but in assault you get your movement +d3 or so on. While I do not have the specifics, I think we are jumping way out in panic when we do not have the entire rules ahead of us.

Since I do not play fantasy (lets not go down that road in the comments please), I have heard that fantasy has a larger than 6" assault. Meaning that even dwarves can get a larger assault range.

So what if, GW has decided to increase the assault range of the game, with a random modifier added to it. So possibly your assault range is a full movement+ d6. That would mean that perhaps and this is the most logical part in my book... That during any phase you have the change to move your full movement.

Movement phase: Std movement
Shooting: Running a std movement (no longer random or even std +d6)
Assault: std movement + d6


•Vehicles use "hull points" in 6th.
Here is another one that we do not know everything on. Are hull points for a single turn? A single unit or phase? Or are they game wide? Personally on this one I do not care either way, since its often that a vehicle will suffer so many results during a game that it shuts the mechanics down currently. Ever have that light armoured transport shot at by 2500pts of heavy armour and have it survive? I think there is a nice balancing factor here.... and this comes from someone that loves using vehicles, and will continue to do so.

We just do not have the details on this one. I like the idea of Hull Points, and look forward to see how this one plays out.


•Wounds are allocated to the closest models first
This would take longer.... Really? If that is the case, some of these argumentative players need to be removed. If its close to a valuable model, just 4+ it. 90% of the time, you wont even need to measure this one.

Once again we really do not know all the rules that surround this one either. I can very easily see how independent characters would be not included in this, or even sergeants. The rules really did not specify all the rules that surround this. If this was the case, Sergeants or Characters would once again be leading in the front of the units, as their positioning now seems like its becoming more important.

I love the idea of the cinematic wave of bullets hitting the first couple ranks of models, and the sergeant or the independent character charging through it for the upcoming slaughter.

I also see the tactical decisions that must be made when moving your models now. Do I put the melta gunner up front to take his single shot outside of double tap range? Or do I hold him back some? Assualt Terminators with Storm shields put up front, while lightning claw terminators following close behind.

The only issue I see with this one, is sniping with a lascannon seems plausible now. That melta gunner stepped too far this direction and my lascannon can now snipe him. However we do not have the entire rule set in front of us, so we have no idea what it will bring.


The point of it all
We are getting glimpses of what the new rules are going to look like. Just like any codex that has come out, we tend to panic or declare something dead and gone, or over powered without knowing all the details.

Since we do not know the complete rules regarding these issues, or even how they are written, its a little too early to give up, quit, or even get mildly panicked about what is on the horizon. I am looking forward to the changes ahead, and see them as a positive step moving our hobby and game into a better light.

Please please remember that these are not additional rumors. These are merely speculations on rules that would complete the little bits that we have heard. These are not probably how the rules will turn out, but I expect something similiar or at least something to make these rules more complete.

26 Comments:

  1. come on guys, its going to be a new edition.

    How is it that everybody just assumes you will be able to run your 5th edition list in 6th with great results?

    And how is it a bad thing that 6th enforces changes in the way you think of the game? maybe it will be harder to assault right on like a numb-minded 'tard. maybe everybody will have to use some strategy based on more shooting... I can imagine an assault being as effective as it is in 5th but being as hard and dangerous to achieve as described in the rules without turning it to a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how about 5th edition armies that aren't space marines?
      those seem pretty screwed.
      Especially tyranids. Oh, the first 3" of a gaunt squad got shot off by snap fire templates.
      I'm sorry, but I'm putting all these rumors together and they really seem to favor marines and shooting, more than usual.

      for NOW, until I have the rulebook in hand, I am putting my faith in Project Biomorph.

      I gotta say, I am really disappointed in GW. All they needed to do was drop vehicle durability a bit, bump combat a bit, nerf cover, and maybe a couple other things. But no, they're making it "fantasy with space marines: screw you, xenos."

      Prove me wrong, GW... though I won't hold my breath.

      Delete
  2. Well, until I see the final rules I shall withhold any judgement, but I am not terribly thrilled so far. Wound allocation I am somewhat ambivalent about, leaning towards 'sure, why not'; hull points we know too little off to trash (as it's written it's kind of terrible); and random psychic powers boil down to one question: do you like your game more random or not? I personally don't, but each to his own.
    One point regarding cinematic charging though: IN 40k fluff, nearly all the big blokes lead from the front, charging with their personal guard. Not terribly cinematic/heroic to run behind a couple of expendable scrubs. Sensible, yes, but this is 40k, so any amount of sensible is best left at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the big thing I don't get is why everyone's panties are in a wad about Sniping. I can't TELL you how many times I have thought to myself in a game. That stupid Lascannon wielding bastard in the 4th over there needs to take one to the head. Only to have them survive two rounds of fire due to wound allocation. sniping allows for some serious tactical movements and maneuvers. even if it does slow the game down. Luring in Melta gunners now really matters doesn't it! Now the one thing I hope is left is units that fire from open topped vehicles and fire points can be targeted but get a big cover save (4+ for open topped 3+ for fire points)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a squad in real that that refuses to place someone else on support weapon duty when the guy initially given the job takes a hit.

      Delete
  4. '•Psychic powers are selected during deployment. (except Grey Knights)' Yeah but any core rule set that's written with except one army in it really reeked of poor rule design IMO.

    I assume the sales of WHFB are on the uptick after the HUGE WAVE OF SCORN that 8th ed got when released, otherwise I can't fathom why they'd continue with a similar rule set for 40k. While I really haven't been impressed with the 6th ed rumors (the aliens & marines allies bit still strikes me as ridiculous) I did like that they did with WHFB overall.

    So dunno, I think its a wash thus far in regards to the rumor mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I doubt the ruleset is written like that specifically. More likely, there's a caveat involving any powers that are specifically bought and paid for. In the future, this may change as more codices begin using the "5 points per power" idea. This would actually also include Tyranids, for powers such as Onslaught and Catalyst.
      In fact, the more I think about it, the more likely I think this will be. Unless they release a MASSIVE amount of FAQs to rewrite Nids' psychic powers.
      Yeah, it's slightly contradictory to current rumors, but this path makes the most sense to me, in that Tasty or his source simply... forgot that other codices do this.

      Delete
  5. Or stop making Coke and only make New Coke, then they have no choice but to drink New Coke.

    I am kidding of course and look forward to GW getting 6th edition right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I want CLASSIC COKE, but without the little bit of rat poison that ruins the taste.

      Delete
  6. People complaining now about this stuff, wonder what they'll say about the next update about challenges....?

    ReplyDelete
  7. you dont play warhammer?!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really have trouble visualizing this new phycik thing. No where in codexes does it mention disciples, so those that mean that you can chose, or that in the rulebook it will tell you what pysker us in which? Also, what about the physkic powers already in your codex? I play eldar and i am perfectly fine with them, and I do not want to see myself to have to replace them with other generic powers (correct me if i am wrong). Randomness would not help either.And finally, why are grey knights exempted from the rules? If the rule already favors certain armies, then it is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's funny Is people get so butthurt because suddenly they can't pull would allocation crap and charges that might v random. These things make perfect sense to me. So stop whining because for all we know these rule could be false or older reworke rules that don't get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. random charges make sense to you? stop being a whining high all mighty fool

      Delete
    2. Tell me daboarder why should an IG unit willingly run a maximum of 6 inches(which is a good amount of space to assault for every unit in the game) to assault a killing machine carnifex? Random charge lenghta woul represent their "eagerness" to assault different units.

      Delete
  10. i like the idea some of these rules are putting forward. It will be a positive step forward for a game that has become a bit 'stale'. Also sounds like it will be more action packed and fast paced. I personally liked some of the changes to 8th WHFB (apart from the magic phase) and hope that these changes will be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant - Grey Knights are better than everyone else again, because their powers aren't random. Why the f*** would they do this? Even in the fluff, Grey Knights are not *that* awesome... damn.
    Ah well, I suppose I'd better get used to seeing even more Grey Knights kicking ass at the local store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ward is said to write the rulebook, so what do you expect? Restraint? Subtlety?
      Not going to happen, not under his watch.

      Delete
    2. Mat Ward: "Let's see here, what else can we add..."
      minion: "SIR!"
      "NOT NOW, I'm writing!"
      "Sir, I was at the hobby center... and someone had tyranids!"
      "WHAT??? PEOPLE STILL PLAY THOSE? CAN'T THEY TAKE A HINT?"
      "And it gets worse, sir! I saw no fewer than 3 people NOT playing Grey Knights!"
      "HERESY! From this point forwards, it shall be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to win a game with tyranids, and Grey Knights shall be the ONLY good army!"
      "How will you bring this about, High and Exalted Lord?"
      "Hmm... we'll let everyone bring allies, EXCEPT tyranids! OH, and everyone will have to ROLL ON A TABLE-ooh... just saying that gives me goosebumps-to get psychic powers, EXCEPT Grey Knights!
      MWAHAHAHAHAHA!"
      Just me being critical...

      Delete
    3. Tyranids....

      Forever alone...

      Delete
  12. I know you said not to mention Fantasy, but if you're remotely familiar with the rules, you'll see how the rumoured 6th Ed changes would work.

    It looks like the 6th Ed will reward generalship, cunning, flexibility and ingenuity vice a stale list that's all to common. Instead of designing a list around the usual killer units, more importance will be put on - dare I say it - standard troop choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'd like you to be right, I just don't see how you make a least powerfull FoC choice more powerfull rules-wise just because it is a troops choice.

      Delete
  13. "except grey knights"
    Guess all that means is that they get hammerhand for +1S as normal, but their Librarians will have the same ruleset as everyone else
    Otherwise they would be a mess...

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mate and I had this conversation just yesterday; is math-hammer "strategic". I can understand the people who say yes, as math-hammer will allow the "smarter" (the player who has taken the time to work out all the calculations) to win the game. More randomness however, and in fantasy the random rolls are usually curved fairly well, demands a more general strategy playing odds, allowing for massive dice failures and successes. If you can't be sure your unit will do X then X causing X wounds with the exact result X then you are forced as a general to have a backup plan. My mate's words, "That's how it works in battle, everything seems great until two forces actually meet, then everything is supposed to go wrong!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like bringing back some of the horrible rules from previous editions.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...