Crazy week once again on the 40k rumor front. Tau are finally going to be released, and the hype of 3 codices in 4 months is driving the euphoria to all time highs. Its not a complaint, I love it, and I think a release schedule like this keeps everyone just waiting at the edge of their seat. Its a ton of fun!


Presence of Faeit is my weekly editorial. I generally report during the week what is going on, and today is my day to comment on what exactly it is that I am thinking of.

Tau Pics, and Releases........
Tau pics are flowing now, and I would imagine its just a short time until the cover art is released, along side more pics of the new models. As for the aesthetics of the new models, I am of course like always, waiting to really see the models in a Games Workshop video. I will of course say that the models are looking good, I so far even like the flyers.

Rumor wise, it looks like Ta will have good responses to air (a lot of it) with S8 AP1 weapons. This is huge in the long run, because really when you do get a hit on an aircraft, AP1 is the best means to take it down on the damage tables.

That Riptide is freakin huge. From the first glance, it looks bigger than other previous models, almost titanesque. Is this a new trend?........ I hope so.

This is going to be an amazing release this time around, and a long time coming. Tau players, expect a few disappointments (you almost always have to alter some models), and some amazing new balanced play. Tau shooting from what I have seen so far, looks amazing.....

How Different Codices Deal With Air
Now that we are on our third codex of 4th codex of 6th edition, the one thing that I have seen is that each codex has it's own variable method of dealing with air. I am starting to think that this was well thought out in advance, at least at the conceptual design of the armies and development, and I am liking it.

Yes air can be tough, and the battle for air superiority can be tough sometimes, but I find it a very dynamic and fun part of the game..... even when I have no flyers (most of the time now)......

Comparing Codices
Just a quick statement about how I look at codices........ When looking at codices as far as balance against each other, I think its important to compare 6th edition released codices to 6th edition codices (not older ones). This is important, because we are all headed that way, and they are the codices designed in the edition.

Making a comparison with older codices, it is just difficult, and while we have to deal with a combination of older codices in the currrent game, older codices are in fact old, and by the speed of releases will be updated soon.

With past releases, I have seen a ton of comparisons, myself included, of codices compared against Grey Knights, or Imperial Guard, or whatever people think the current meta is. I've had this conversation for years, about current edition comparisons, but it is even more relevant in 6th than ever before.

I want to see the following for real in-depth new codex analysis.
6th edition codices vs 6th edition codices
Older codices vs the 6th edition rules.

Tyranids..... Oh my
We keep getting a lot of tyranid rules. I am starting to get a sneaking suspicion that we may be seeing this codex in the later parts of this year. We know Eldar are after Tau, and they could be coming as early as towards the end of summer. Could Tyranids be in Q4 of this year?

With the new Riptide now being seen, and how huge it is..... I hope tyranids go BIG. I mean really big. I want models like what Tyranid Dominatrix from earlier this week is suggesting. Then give me lots of gaunts.

Codex or Allied Supplement...... 
Orks/ Gretchin...... Tau/ Kroot
I know Orks mean there are Orks coming, but what really has me intrigued at the moment with Orks is their little counterparts, Gretchin. I love the idea of these little buggers on the field, as it really feeds the themed community that loves to build armies of these types. It adds a ton of variety  on the tabletop, and that to me is what it is all about.

So assuming Gretchin are getting all this love, are they going to be released in an Allied Supplement? or will it be held off for the codex.

Now looking at the newest of releases.... Tau. No Kroot have yet been seen. Is this a suggestion that something is going on for mini-allies? Are Kroot and Vespid, and Gretchin for that matter going to be either a small allied addition in the primary armies codex, or are they going to be fleshed out and added to a larger allied supplement?

I think we will find out shortly when the Tau codex is released. Even if Kroot are in the Tau codex as standard units, they could be expanded up on for secondary detachments. This to me would be such a fun addition to the game.

An allied supplement that only contains smaller army types meant for secondary detachments. That would open up a ton of options for future development. Genestealer cults come to mind immediately. A Genestealer cult Hq that is secretly leading my Imperial Guard?

Now for my design ideas, (albeit its probably a little late). Please contain a method to include parts of these auxiliary detachments into a primary force. Like taking Kroot and letting them be added into a primary detachment as troops if a secondary kroot detachment of Kroot is used. I know that is a rough idea, and I am sure GW has fleshed it out more, but I want people to have the flexibility to really dig into variable army types, and of course have a ton of fun collecting and playing new things.

In the above, what I would like to see as an example, a Kroot force........ ran by a Tau commander who is overseeing the deployment of the force. (perhaps with his own bodyguards).

Here is to hoping that Allies are expanded upon.


33 Comments:

  1. With you on the allies front - there are so many factions in the 40k background that'd be great to feature on the table but who don't really have enough clout to make a full army. From units who've featured before like Arbites and Genestealer Cults, to things that have always been in the background but never had tabletop stats like Custodes and Mechanicus units. I'd really like to see these sorts of things getting minis and stats to be fieldable - given the huge cost of starting an army from scratch these days, it'd be good to have more options to add variety to your existing army by going sideways through allies. Thankfully, my Tau give me plenty of options at the moment in that regard (although my 'nids even up that average somewhat...)

    Every day I come back here and read the new Tau info gets me more excited for this release - the first one of 6th that's been for one of my armies, and it looks like it's gonna be a cracker. Now I'm just wondering what the next couple of weeks until WD comes out are going to add, rumours wise, and hoping that the release isn't a damp squib - I really don't think so, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be NICE an allied supplement. Not only because everyone could be able to use kroot -or gretchins- (freedom is nice)but also to have a Tau WITHOUT the kroot "mandatory" if you don't want to lack close combat (freedom is nice again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an Ork player, I'm rather annoyed by the idea of a "Grot codex" and really hope it won't happen.

    Grots are a HUGE aspect of Ork fluff and it'd be really annoying to think "I want some Grots for a cheap scoring unit, just like I've always had." only to realize that you didn't want to drop another $50 to make those 3 point pieces of fodder available to you again (not to mention that it'd soak up my ally slot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That being said, I'd love to see the options of allying in Custodes, the Adeptus Mechanicus, Genestealer Cults, Demiurg, and possibly even the Interex (though I really doubt it'll ever happen), just not my Grots!

      Delete
    3. Think of it as the Orc and Goblin book from Fantasy. Where you can a Orc, Goblin, or mix.

      Delete
    4. That's what Codex: Orks is right now (with some exceptions (HQs)). You can play an (almost) all-Grot list if you want.

      However, creating a Codex: Orks and a Codex: Grots would be like making a seperate Army Book for Orcs and Goblins (no mingling!)!

      Delete
    5. A "Grot codex" doesn't preclude the existence of Grot units in the Ork codex. Natfka himself notes that Kroot are probably in the Tau codex, but he still hopes for an allied 'dex type thing. Also, fluffwise, rebel Grots (at least the kind from Gorkamorka, to my understanding) would never accept Ork rule--that's sorta why they're rebels. However, that implies that Grot slaves still exist under Ork rule.

      Delete
    6. And don't forget the Squats as allies

      Delete
    7. Call me silly, but I am hoping that we get some Snotlings to go with our Grots. I kind of miss them from the old days.

      Delete
  4. Grots won't leave the Ork Codex, but I think seeing allied forms of them is plausible.

    Think Dogs of War, or Mercs in the PP-verse. A hodge-podge of for-hire units.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Natfka: Your bit about comparing codices is brilliant. I wish more people would understand that this is 6th on 6th. A change isn't necessarily a "nerf" because it will be primarily spent going up against other 6th edition books. Thus far they all seem balanced against one another, and at the current clip, don't be surprised if all of the books (GK, DE, and Necrons included) are updated by the end of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the likely exception of necron, I'd agree that those codexs will get a rewrite but they're most likely saved by virtue of being so recent. Imagine the nerd rage for updating a new book this fast!
      Plus there's always the older books to update first

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tau being next month followed by Eldar in May/June then Orks for July/August. Then it would be time to get SM updated September/October followed by BT, Sisters and GK and IG. All codex should be updated befor mid next year at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be very surprised at that actually, since apart from daemons, GW do t tend to do dual system releases and the high elves and lizardmen are rumoured to be getting their 8th ed update this year

      Delete
  7. There will be no Squats, people :'(

    As for Tyranid mega-bugs...great idea for modelling, not so good for a cover save ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though with all of the clamoring for Squats across the internet and the prices for the old models going for a fortune on eBay. GW has to be asking themselves if there's money in bringing back our Space Dwarves.

      Delete
    2. But as they no longer have rights to the IP for squats, we'll never see them again

      Delete
    3. If they did make a dominatrix Mauler (properly, not that other abomination), then hopefully they'd reflect it's super connection to the hive mind with psychic abilities (usual sort of thing, I know) but also have a passive psychic invulnerable save like the zoanthropes. Maybe a slightly lesser save so zoanthropes are still special (4++?)

      Delete
    4. GW does have the IP rights for Squats as far as fluff is concerned, otherwise they would not have been reintroduced in the BRB.

      Even if hell freezes over, and GW throws us a bone in the form of a miniature or two, they would never rerelease the old models, or use the old illustrations, so IP rights related to those are irrelevant.

      Delete
  8. Online Earning opportunities to make money online from home, Internet Online Business want to make money easy now.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nids before the end of the year?! What's not to love that?

    I'm very curious to see what GW gives the bugs to make up for the fact that they have no allies. A heavily customize-able FOC seems like a pretty good option. I miss being able to take carnifexes as elites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss being able to take Carnifexes that were armed to the teeth with melee weapons and that spit plasma... I know i can do it but the whole Dakkafex thing just doesn't work for me in a fluff sense... on the table it works, but looking for a return to melee carnifexes!!!

    That said, if GW can continue this trend of new armies with new surprises every quarter (and even faster than that in some senses) I am impressed and it does make me think there was a greater effort to bring these armies all into line going into 6th edition which is great!!!

    Eldar, then orks or 'nids, +/- allies, then start back on the Imperium... that would be impressive and awesome. Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The first fluff description I remember reading was that the 'fex is a "living battering ram". Something that sits in the backfield and shoots does not quite fit the mental image...

      Delete
    2. I think that Relic nailed that in Dawn of War II. The Carnifexes in that game basically have no ranged weapons, but they stomp right over tanks. They're also BIG.

      I want something practically unkillable and at least Tervigon-sized in a new codex. But I doubt that'll happen...

      Delete
  11. Heres a though on the allied supplement thing. Do you think it is possible that GW would release sisters of battle as an allied supplement. They dont seem to be to interested in doing a full codex, and they seem to really like allies. Honestly right now It would make a lot more sense then them trying remake an already pretty old and broken army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a depressing but quite possible thought. GW wouldn't have to commit themselves to producing a full Codex, instead producing only the models they think will be most profitable, and it would force the few SoB players left to buy into a different army.

      I'm thinking that'll happen, but only as a stopgap. In the end, I'm sure SoB will get a full codex, but it might take a while...

      Delete
  12. I've heard Nids by the end of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Online Earning opportunities to make money online from home, Internet Online Business want to make money easy now.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. World's Most Popular Website where you can get every thing you want, Marketing and Advertising, Social Media Marketing, News updates, Entertainment Updates, Funny pictures, Entertainment Pictures, Hot pictures, Classified Websites, Mp3 Tunes, Online Jobs, Videos, Funny Videos and Much More Fun Mania
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Earn Money Online without any investment or Charges, now you can earn unlimited with Just Clicking Advertisements, Earn with Clicking Advertisments without Investments
    Just Visit the Start and Make Account Easy and Free
    HotProClicks.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...