Ok, really. I am going to be honest about this, "it doesn't really bug me". Apparently a GW store manager has copied and pasted a tactics article I wrote and is taking credit for it. I am not hurt by the article, and in reality am a little bit flattered that someone liked the article enough to use it on their site.


From what I was told though, the Manager took down the comment that tried to credit me for the article. Please keep the comments civil, this is not a witch hunt.

Faeit 212 Inbox
Anyhow, here is the letter I received from a reader......

Naftka,
Hello, I'm a longtime follower of your blog and appreciate both the quality and dedication you put forth on your blog site. Last evening I was perusing your site and read the review you did on the Helldrake (Amazing review, by the way. Almost makes me want to get one and I play DE!). Halfway into it I stop and think to myself "Where have I read this before?" I quickly pull up my local Games Workshop on Facebook, and lo and behold there's YOUR review on the Helldrake posted by the store employee (it's a single employee store) trying to pass it off as his own work (undoubtedly to try to move the kits off the shelves). As an educator and writer, plagiarism absolutely appalls me. I posted the source and did the works cited for the bugger since he clearly couldn't be bothered to give you due credit. Unsurprisingly, shortly after I did this, my comment was simply deleted with nothing else said or done. Instead of emailing an ill-fated complaint to GW headquarters, I decided to let you know instead. I figured I would put it into your more capable hands since it was your material that was appropriated and it's your place to take the action if you so choose to dignify such petty behavior with any sort of response.

You can use the content of this email however you'd like. Personally I think it would be hilarious for this employee to see it this way since he obviously also reads your site. In case it's relevant, the employee is Clay at Renaissance Center, Altamonte Springs, Florida. We only get one GW in sunny Florida, and it has to be that one, huh? In order to see the post including the material stolen from you, all one needs to do is go onto Facebook and search "Games Workshop Renaissance Center". The post is still fairly fresh. My apologies if this is a common occurrence and beneath your notice by now, but I just definitely wanted to let you know. Keep that awesome blog goin'!

My response
Thanks for the heads up. I will be honest, I really do not know what to think of it. I am glad someone finds the article useful as way to use their heldrakes, and to find a way to promote the hobby with it. I myself work hard to try and source my rumors and news, but I know sometimes I have missed a few, albeit not intentionally. So I think I will simply post up the emails. I am sure it will get handled from there.


The Article
Here is a copy paste of the article from facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/GWRenaissanceCentre


CURIOUS ABOUT HOW AMAZING THE HELDRAKE REALLY IS???...WELL HERE YA GO:)+++++++++++++++
+++++++++
+++++++
+++++
+++
++
+
The Heldrake when loaded up with a Baleflamer, is in its in its element hunting and seeking out those unlucky enough not to be in a transport when it arrives on the scene. Anything short of a 2+ (which is most of everything) is going to get bit hotter the moment it arrives. Lets
take a closer look at this thing.

Flyers move up to 36" when they arrive on the field. The Baleflamer is S6 AP3, with soul blaze and Torret. Never before has a flamer been so versatile on the battlefield. After all this flamer can reach almost everything on the tabletop with it the round it arrives. Torrent allows the flamer template to be placed within 12" of the weapon, so that the wide is no closer to the weapon than the narrow end.

For a flamer that is AP3 and S6, this is borderline abusive in a good way. On top of that, for those IG blobs, or other massed infantry, soulblaze is likely to keep the damage going.

The real strength behind this weapon is its flexibility to reach anything on the tabletop, and to choose its target..... and the most ideal of course is..... a group of infantry or two that just was de-meched and are now sitting in tighter confines.

Are you taking just one of these? Get two. Three is even good, but watch your points. Team up the Heldrakes with something that is going to reliably open up transports. Lucky for you, you play Chaos Marines and have some of the perfect solutions for this..... Havocs, cheaper than snot Predators, etc.

Do not forget with the flexibility of how you place your template, just make sure you are pointing that mouth in the right general direction, these flamers can also damage vehicles along the rear armour. Not to mention double the toughness of many T3 xenos or guard models. Remember no jink or other cover saves against this flamer template. It kills anything short of terminators on the tabletop.

This beast comes with "It Will Not Die", "Daemon", "Deamonforge", and "Meteoric Decent". So if you were not scared from what I mentioned above, this will close the deal.

It will not die
At the end of each friendly turn, roll a d6. On a 5+ the heldrake recovers a Hull Point.

Daemon
You do not need to evade with a Heldrake.... You come with a 5+ invul save and generate fear (encase you were in hover mode and got assaulted) Fear just means roll your leadership roll or be reduced to a WS1 for the remainder of that close combat subphase.

Daemonforge
Once per game, the model may re-roll all failed to wound and all armour penetrating rolls. Do not forget to roll a d6 at the end of that phase, if you roll a 1 you take a hull point damage.

Meteoric Decent
Vector Strike for a flyer. The d3+1 hits for the unit your are flying over are resolved at S7. (remember that you cannot use your daemonforge re-rolls with this ability, as daemonforge is only allowed during shooting or assault phases). So yes, you can fly over another flyer with this ability, and then torch something else on the ground. d3+1 S7 hits is nothing to laugh at. Also remember that these hits are resolved at AP3!!!! And always against the side armour of vehicles.

One last thing...... Hover. You can go into Hover mode with the Heldrake. Yes, people forget about this one all the time. So yes, it can go into Hover mode at the beginning of its movement phase, which turns it into a fast skimmer. While this limits the distance it can reach, there are times where a turn 5 180 degree turn around is better than flying off the board (and if game ends being counted as a casualty).

The Heldrake is the Great Hunter. Played well against you it will rip your army apart, and if in an army designed to use the beasts efficiently, not even your transports are going to be safe. Hide, and hide well, the Heldrake is coming to get you... If its Round 2, and its already too late.

50 Comments:

  1. Thats unfortunate. To copy/paste and not even drop your name is bad form. Maybe it was a mistake? Maybe they just don't care?
    I'd definetely contact them though. Maybe they will give credit?

    I agree that must be a sort of nice feeling that your work is good enough for people to steal :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the guy that sent the tip off email (I live in that area and that's the shop I frequent). It was definitely a case of he either wanted to claim credit as if he had written it or he didn't want a rumor site linked on the store's FB page. Either way, it wasn't a smooth or proper move, but it also doesn't surprise me for reasons I won't get into because Naftka doesn't want this getting out of hand.

      Delete
    2. Good that you made the comment! Still, are we sure the GW manager was taking credit for the article or did he simply just post the article on his page without giving credit? (There is a difference...at least morally.)

      Anyhow, the renaissance is not the only GW store in FL now. We luckily have one in Sawgrass in Broward county. Great store!

      Delete
    3. I can't say with any certainty, but my guess would have to be just an omission of credit and not trying to pass it off as his own. I don't know though, since I offered the source and it got smacked down. Still extremely not cool either way it was intended.

      Glad to hear we got another shop in state!

      Delete
    4. It's call plagiarism. The person is infringing upon your intellectual property, namely your work. If is truly matters to you, contact a lawyer and the article will be taken down.

      Delete
  2. Blogs steal copyright content from GW - GW steals copyright content from blogs.. what gives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page, you'll see that you are wrong in many points.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, Natfka. As someone who has stuff copied, I admit to my more than my fair share of copying, imitation is the highest form of flattery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thus shall his inbox become clogged with demands for proper credit and Juvenal spam flames be the less eloquent members of the fan base.

    Before you get your hate on everybody, please stop and make sure your response is well reasoned, and not just 500 synonims for "bad" and "I don't like you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. GW acts very agressive to protect their own copyrights (remember the german Damnatus-movie in the past or the sue against chapterhouse at the moment).
    I would write an e-mail to the GW HQ and ask, why one the shopmanagers has to steel your work and deletes everything that says, that you are the original author.
    The page has 550 followers at fb which is a quite high number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No
      500 is low.... You can get that in a week!

      Damnatus was chargeing a small amount for the CD to Not make loses. GW considerd that as selling IP content.

      Chapterhouse is just a rippoff.
      If they at least Used diffrent colores when painting the figs / bitz in the store, you Could Argue for them. Saidly enough they are right in that GW does Not have Copyright on everything automaticly and so its legal to copy some of the Designs artworks.
      We all can See what Impact this has had on the Hobby allready. Slower releases and no Artwork or rules for Future Units in the dex. WoC Players have to BuY a WD now & dex later. Maybe with diffrent or changed rules for the New Units. I dont like Chapterhouse a Bit Before caus their Models are ugly & i Sure dont like them now! Despit how much i hate GW at Times :D

      Delete
    2. As far as i know, that was NOT the problem with Damnatus.

      Delete
  6. Eh, dude was not cool. Not much to be done, really. If he sees this and is not a total assclown, he'll apologise. If he is a total assclown... well, he's got to live his life being a total assclown, which is punishment enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natfka, your article on the Heldrake was a great read. The dude obviously thought so too. I'm sure he'll follow back around with you and fix his wrong but only by you shedding light on the matter. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a company who sends out more cease and desist letters than community news I find it funny an actual GW employee would do something like this.

    Sure it's not really an official copy paste by the head branch of GW but it's still done by someone who runs an official GW store.

    I'd send a cease and desist letter to GW saying you want $1000 worth of product or you will sue for copyright infringement :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do this, it would be hilarious!!!!

      Delete
    2. Speaking as a law student, please don't. Hilarious or not, nothing good will come of this in the long term. GW is notorious for their trigger-happy legal department.

      Delete
  9. Well, natfka is better off not to wake the dog. All the Pictures of GW Work in this blog are verry, verry close to copyright infringement...
    I mean, its good advertising for GW, but still...

    Tanonymus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not copyright infringement at all. Copyright has an exception under the clause of Fair use for commentary, criticism and reviews. which this site very clearly falls under

      Delete
  10. As a journalist I've seen my photos, videos, and my coworkers articles shuttled around the web without citation or links. It always makes me uncomfortable to think that others could take credit for our (debatably) hard work.

    I know others will do this on your behalf, but I'd make a request of a simple link, so if others like what they read, they can come to the original source.

    ~Muninn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can understand why the guy would do this, he can't exactly promote a site that trades so heavily in rumours, I think that is probably the bigger issue for him, I agree he shouldn't have posted it if he wasn't willing to source it, but having said that, I think his avoiding sourcing it and deleting the original post with the source is more about toeing the line with regards to GW and their rumour clampdown than some attempt to pretend he wrote the article himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they wanted to use the article, the right thing to do would have been to contact Natfka and ask to use it. Even a note saying the article comes from an enthusiastic hobbyist or something would have been nice, but they didn't. If the thief does read this, and you are a thief, I'd hope they have the gall to stand up and apologise.

      Delete
  12. It's sad to hear that someone in GW have done this to say how anal they are when people do to them. When ever we post at our blog site we try and give credit where we can for pictures, tutorials, tips, etc. However, it is flattering to know that your review was that good it was used by someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My take on this as haveing Vloged a Long Time.

    Dont Even reakt to it.... Even if he/she/it attacks you verbaly.... You only generat Klicks on his Website by mentioning him.

    If he makes legit acusations you got to defend youreself & make him Look like a joke!

    Since he only Stole youre Content... Wich everybody does all the Time... I would Not Even care!
    Tell him to Add link to youre Page.
    If he doesnt its Not worth youre Time fightend about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you should get your legal team and give him a cease order! They do to everyone else that they claim copies their work. Just kidding of course.

    It sucks, I think it does bother you (some)because you posted it. This is a type of venting (constructive)discussing the issue instead of calling a witch hunt. Personally, I think you should contact that person on Facebook and discuss that credit should be given if this is your actual work. I hate Facebook, but if this is word for word, yea you should talk to him in private about taking other's works without asking. I always ask or at least post up that I will be using the material in the future article (and give credit).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just to be clear, on my end, its not going any further than this. Fun and Games aside, I love this hobby too much to try and perpetuate any extra drama over the issue.

    It's worth a notation around midnight and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went to the site and noticed that the whole article and all of the associated comments have been taken down.

      Delete
    2. This is now posted on the Facebook site:

      +++PLEASE READ+++

      Last week I received an email with a battle report in it in regards to the amazing new Chaos Heldrake. Seeing as Im very new to the hobby, and I dont play Chaos Space Marines, I was very excited to be able to post up something on my FB page that I thought everyone would enjoy reading. Imagine my surprise this morning when I was informed by the same person that sent me the report
      in the first place informed me that it was from a fellow hobbyists blog page. Now anyone that comes into my store and spends more than 5 minutes talking to me knows that I would would never intentionally take credit for someones work. I apologize if I offended ANYONE in any way, or if it sounded as if I wrote the report myself...again if you have ever been in the store long enough to talk to me you would know that my knowledge of the game at this time is nowhere near the level of the report that was written:) Again my sincerest apologies, and I will do my best to make sure the information I get is better sourced, and next time...a simple message to me to give me a heads up would have probably been the right thing to do instead of the way it was handled.

      Thanks,
      Clay
      -----------------------------------------

      At least he was good enough to give an apology.

      Oh, one last thing. Altamonte Springs isn't the only GW store in Florida. There's also a store in Sunrise, FL (The Gateway at Sawgrass), which is about an hour west of Fort Lauderdale and located just off I-595 (which turns into I-75 further west and goes up through the entire state). Great for GW gamers in the lower half of the state. :)

      Delete
  16. I happen to frequent this store as well. Clay is VERY outspoken in how terrible he is at warhammer. He plays and runs his shop to have fun. And frankly I'm glad I don't know who started this nonsense but seeing as how clay got that info in an email not from this site and had no way of knowing it was written by naftka it seems like the guy instigating problems should be the one apologizing. Naftka, thankyou for handling this like a gentleman as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy you're calling out to apologize here: I would be inclined to agree with you if he didn't delete the source when posted to him then keep going. His apology story today completely omits me gently pointing out and providing the source a few days ago, I highly doubt I was instigating anything.

      Delete
    2. To further clarify, I like the guy. I would assume he didn't mean to pass it off as his own. However, when given the source, he deleted it and acted like it never happened. It took overwhelming report from this community to get him to own up to it and his posted apology is still omitting that he was in fact sent the source long before any of this took place.

      Delete
  17. This isn't the type of forum to debate this in so its my last post on the matter but unless you specified naftka as the source in the email and clay posted that those were his own deductions on the facebook page I don't see that he did anything wrong. If both of those didnt happen then you're assuming someone's state of mind with no proof. That's the sort of thing that causes trouble. Anyway I've said my peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could squabble about how that's just not the case, but I'm not going to dump gas on embers. Regardless, the situation has been handled. It was made known what the source was, and he apologized for it which I think everyone can respect and appreciate.

      Delete
  18. To the guy that said it was you that reported this, AND that you also frequent his shop. This was kind of a tool move. I have been going to the shop since it opened, and not ONCE has Clay ever said he knows a lot about the hobby. What he has done though is greatly increased the gaming community which is great! Im not sure what you were hoping would come from this, but I just left there and hes still there...soooo better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna go ahead and be accountable to the people that are less than pleased with me. I don't really see how his knowledge matters. I don't know crap about the hobby either, relatively. All I did was let Naftka know his material had been appropriated. Trying to get Clay fired was the last thing on my mind and not even a possible outcome of this. I'm glad that no one flamed him or did more than tell him to source the material. He has done good things for the community, but the reality some people just aren't taking into account is that the material was unsourced. The source was provided and summarily removed. Passing it on to the owner of the material was the right thing to do.

      So I'm sorry you think I'm out to get the guy, but there's no "better luck" or "next time" here. The source got credited and, as a stand up guy, he apologized for the error.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, people get kicked out of schools FOREVER for this kind of stuff. My friend failed her class, and was about three inches from be expelled permanently, for just accidentally plagiarizing. She was nowhere even close to the level this guy was at. This kind of stuff gets you fired, gets you sued, and gets your name drug through the mud. It's extremely dangerous to mess with plagiarizing, and anyone who is nicely told they are plagiarizing and then continues to do it is acting in a very foolhardy manner. Whatever his motivations, whatever his contributions to the community, he still plagiarized and then continued to plagiarize after being informed by a concerned third party. That is unacceptable behavior. And, ignorance is not an excuse, as any law student will attest.

      Delete
    3. ^actually...you're very wrong. not once did he EVER try to pass this off as his own. I'm really tired of reading posts from wanna be lawyers who think they know what they're talking about because they spent a couple semesters in law school. NONE of us were there, none of us know the guy, and I think its rediculous that its gotten this far.

      Delete
  19. Knowledge DOES matter because if you read the battle report you could tell it was well written with KNOWLEDGE of the hobby. I like Clay, but hes a newbie to this and there is no way he would have the ability to write something like this. The part that is messed up is rather than just tell Clay, seeing as you yourself said you frequent the store and like the guy, was to just tell him yourself. Its hard to believe you were trying to make more out of this situation when you went to all this trouble to put his name and store out there on the internet...not cool man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem --was-- that the author, heck, Clay didn't even acknowledge neither the person who sent him the information, nor the original author of the article.

      A simple message was left, it was deleted without even glancing or googling it to check it's contents. This is the only issue at heart. Yes, it is Clay's policy to delete the information as per commands of his GW Overlords. Cool, really, but it's also a gross misrepresentation of his knowledge if he really is that new to the game. (Again, not a problem, everyone's new at some point and everyone can still contribute. Just, even from a store point of view, if anyone asked him bout that, he may have legitimately been unable to back up what he posted.)

      Again, he is new, and if he wanted to push some sales out the door, it's clear he could have given a simple (yet apparently extremely familiar name) as the author. (However, knowing GW's business practices, maybe he's not even allowed to do that, and that could realistically be the entire problem.)

      Regardless, the situation is over, resolved and should not be an issue.

      Delete
    2. I just went back and looked at his post from today...he clearly states that he deletes them without opening the links to avoid spam...cant say i blame him. I wouldnt trust the internet either. Not to mention Im sure this cant really be good for business putting his store and name out there like this over something so petty.

      Delete
  20. I DID tell him, though. That's the thing. I gave him the link to the source of this. I did indeed tell him. When you omit that, yeah, it sounds that way. He's intelligent and well spoken enough to describe something well, and even regardless of that that's just no defense for plagiarism. I provided the name and store location so that if Naftka chose, he could contact him and sort it out because my attempt to was deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your flame on his Facebook site for stealing the work was deleted. One wonders why if u emailed him this in the first place you didn't just email him the source rather then going after him about an oversight on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did not flame him. I verbatim posted "Source: (Insert link here)" so that it could be cited with no drama coming to pass. I made no accusations. After that was taken off, why would I have to assume emailing him would do anything? So I passed it on. I didn't go after him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The information naftka got makes suggestions that clay plagerized this from naftkas site. Yet you had knowledge that he in fact did not get this from faeit but rather from an email which means you knowingly falsified info provided to naftka to frame this in the worst possible light. If that isn't inflamatory then idk what is.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No, I had no idea that he got it from an email when I notified Naftka. All that didn't come into the light until he apologized for the mix up. I feel like you keep omitting or rearranging events to keep me in the target sight here. I didn't falsify anything. This is the Information Age, if that's what I was doing it would be painfully obvious very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree...you seem to be going after the shop guy for some reason...you even wrote earlier...

    "I'm the guy that sent the tip off email (I live in that area and that's the shop I frequent). It was definitely a case of he either wanted to claim credit as if he had written it or he didn't want a rumor site linked on the store's FB page. Either way, it wasn't a smooth or proper move, but it also doesn't surprise me for reasons I won't get into..."

    you assumed he wanted to claim credit, AND you said it didnt surprise you. Doesnt seem like you like the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It clearly and definitely turned out to be the latter of the two as he posted an apology after I made that statement. I will own up to being out of line with that last sentence. I chalk that up to being incensed by my attempt to calmly and smoothly give him the source and I do apologize for that one line and any and all implications from it. That line is very uncharacteristic for everything else I'm saying and does give the feel that I don't like him. That one's my bad, and I do apologize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also didn't straight up assume he was trying to claim credit, as I offered another likely option from my opinion. One much less malicious that ended up being the case.

      Delete
  27. I posted some rules in the homegrown section of Bolter and Chainsword around jan/feb this year, and in the new chaos codex there is a common rule for one point by the same name that does almost the same thing. Obviously its probably a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder. I was a bit shocked when I saw it, and had to double check the wording on the rule. If it inspired GW thats awesome, if not, its just one of those things. I just hope my Landraider variant inspires them, so I can have a short bus for my termies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. comments are going to be locked here. No need to carry this conversation on any more.

    ReplyDelete
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...