Ending the first week back, I have to say it was a little bit frantic. There is just a lot going on, with the new eldar release, apocalypse coming, trying to work on the new site, and the work going on behind the scenes.

Presence of Faeit is my weekly editorial where I talk about the things that I am thinking of, rather than the news or rumors. 

Expanding the Fun
I have been working behind the scenes with great people like Justin at Cipher Studios, and Mack Martin at Wyrd Miniatures, and more to really take the discussion of tabletop games to the next level. More interaction between game designers and their representatives is a top priority, and something that I think is worth digging into. 

Not only that, but discussions with independent game store owners, professional painters, and more are all under the works, including of course the great articles with Reece from Frontline Gaming. 

Not to mention with the new site, a game finder with google maps (including stores where you can play), possible forums for more discussion, army lists, battle reports, videos and more. 

I want to reiterate that the primary goal behind what is going on, is to engage the community, and provide ways and means to for us to communicate with each other, and have fun. 

I am more excited about the future of the site, than I ever have been before. Of course I want it all completed now, as do many of you, but please be patient as things get worked out and completed. Nothing moves as fast as we would like it to.

One thing I definitely always want to hear though, is comments and suggestions. While some may seem like they are just dismissed, its not the case. I try and read everything posted on this site, and everything is taken into account.

Eldar and Codex Supplements
I am loving the new codex, and it has lots of new options for us. While I am still testing builds, there is a lot that I see for allies and for Eldar pure lists and builds. Of course I would like to see another supplement or two beyond Iyanden, but I can be patient for now.

I really do like the idea of Codex Supplements, even though I know there is a percentage of gamers that do not. The idea of mini-dex's/ supplements really adds to the possible enjoyment of the game, and just expands the options of what we see out there in games. Nothing worse than showing up to a tourney and a good number of people very much have the same army and same builds.

Battle Reports
I have been spending a lot of time watching battle reports these last few days online. Why? because I want to do more of them, and increase the quality of what is shown. So while I am sure that I have seen many of what you may have for suggestions, if you have formats that you have seen out there and really liked, please by all means mention it in the comments.

Videos
I have been doing more and more videos of late, and I will continue to do so. After my time at Valhalla with Shawn, videos are a little less out of my comfort zone, and rather enjoyable to do. Not to mention that Shawn had some good tips on being in front of a camera. Not meant as a plug, but Shawn is a great guy with a lot of love for the hobby (even a little crazy sometimes), and fun to hang out with. 

So in regards to future videos that do make it onto the blog side of things, I will start including a brief rundown on what the video is about. Reading through the comments I understand that people are reading the site from work, or other places where watching a video are not appropriate. Even technology or connectivity can be an issue. 

So my goal is to find to find a medium where the bulk of the article does take the place of the video, but adds to it and gives an overview of what the discussion is about. So hang in there if it takes me a bit to find that happy medium.

Dropzone Commander
Of course I am going to talk about this game. I just like it that much. I am in the process of getting more models, and then its time to start painting again. I have been dreading anything that has to do with painting since my run up to Valhalla, but now I think I have had a long enough break. So when time permits, I will get my Dropzone painted and looking better for some future battle reports with more models.

If you are in the Portland area, and having a hard time finding Dropzone Commander models, the best place to get them is with Chris out at Nexus Games, or at Mikes Comics. If you go out there to get them, just tell him Natfka sent you.





Farseer pic by Sam Lamont






22 Comments:

  1. Of all the battle reports available online, Miniwargaming.com has the best by far. Mostly they do edited versions, but recently they have been having "Live shows" where they film a batrep in real time. I would check them out as a template for making your own battle reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a tournament organiser currently in the middle of checking army lists for an event in a couple of weeks I have to say I'm keen on the codex supplements idea. It's already complicated enough with allies and FW!!

    The fluffy side of me loves the idea as it opens up some great possibilities but the tournament player in me thinks that people will end up picking and choosing from the different books. Rather than it creating identity for individual craftworlds, chapters, legions etc they'll just open up more options for those wanting to cherry pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While i agree with you, the idea of a better game at the cost of you (and other tournament organizers etc) having to do more work isn't the biggest deal to me. What matters is the game, and its quality. Not the amount of work somebody has to do in order to make competitive play more realistic. And GW doesn't support the tournament scene anymore specifically. They support the game, and if a mini dex or supplement adds more rules and fluff, their gonna do it.

      Delete
    2. The problem I have with the suppliment is now everyone (myself included) will expect a suppliment for their legion/faction/chapter/whatever. Its the typical give one of your kids a lolly and the rest cry untill they get one too....

      Delete
    3. Lol. I guess I'm one of those kids because I was just thinking "why didn't they do that for Tau?!"
      The farsight enclave >could have< been a good supplement. Granted they would have had to do many things differently.

      So...what about my Tau supplement?! :'(
      :-)

      Delete
    4. Yeah I agree with juggalo that everyone will be expecting this now.
      And personally I can see room for it. BUT and if I could write a bigger but I would, because this but is so large that Sir Mix-a-Lot would rap about it:

      Having them only available on electronic devices is hampering to some. As far as I know the e-books are not available in Norway (where I live) due to some silly restrictions.

      I am hoping the kindle version will be available, but that still means players need to buy an electronic device in order to use the suppliments.

      I would love to see GW make a "desktop viewer" for their books. So that you can use them on a regular PC without much trouble. Sort of like a steam for codices. (You could even start including other services there as army builders etc)

      But right now suppliments gets an unhappy face from me due to it's restricted availability. (Heck direct order books are better imo)

      Delete
    5. It's out via direct in a few weeks as a book.

      Delete
  3. Would love to have the option of changing time zones on the new site. Just a basic feature, but i think it would make it better. Love your work and keep the rumours flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to have the option of changing time zones on the new site. Just a basic feature, but i think it would make it better. Love your work and keep the rumours flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to have the option of changing time zones on the new site. Just a basic feature, but i think it would make it better. Love your work and keep the rumours flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Battle reports can be horrible if poorly executed but a good report can make even a boring game exciting! My favourite format is a video where you dont actually watch people play but you watch them give a 10 second description of what they just did in their turn and how it worked out. There should always be an introduction where both players introduce themselves and give a run through if their army/list then a turn by turn report followed by a conclusion and each players thoughts on how the game went. Also where possible reports with fully painted armies are best. That is my preference / suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind this type, but it is better if they go through each subphase (movement, shooting, assault), makes it easier to follow the flow.

      I also like the current Beat Matt batreps, they are a mix of a "here watch everything" and what you suggest.

      Delete
  7. I also think that miniwargaming has the most enjoyable format out there. However, if you wanted to do something more compact, I'd recommend the skaredcast way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to see a catalogue of commission painters and some sponsorship to open out that marketplace somewhatn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will you have a place on the site dedicated for suggestions for the site, or comments/questions that aren't directly related to the posts you have? There have been a few times when I wanted to say/ask something, but the only place for it was on some post that had nothing to do with the comment. And it would be good, if people could suggest changes to the site as they use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would love a weekly podcast, other then frontline i can't think of another that i have enjoyed, and even frontline is shorter then i would like.
    one other thing i would like to see is mantic represented...deadzone in particular mostly since i am so excited for it after the kickstarter :)
    p.s. so happy your blog is back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently started looking myself for a new podcast or two. I found the "Independent Character", which I quite liked. I have only heard one episode and it does seem to be more focused on the meta game, rather than super specific. Just my 2 cents!

      Delete
  11. I am just glad that you are back. I find that I enjoy the blog exchange as much as the news on the mainpage. I love seeing other people's armies and masterpieces. This is such a great place to see what is new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, you can post whatever you damn well please. I'm just chuffed that Faeit is back online that you could start posting nothing but articles specifically insulting me, my family, and everything I've ever held dear and I'd still be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Regarding a game finder, perhaps partnering with a service that already exists would be beneficial. http://nearbygamers.com/ is one such service that I have successfully used in the past. While it may not be setup to what you want, it is a service that you can have without the need to maintain yourself. This way you can focus on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What faction are you getting into in DZC?

    I love the flexibility and mobility of the shaltari myself, that and the models are just wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When it comes to google maps, showing stores where you can play...there is a huge community all over Europe just waiting for something like this!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...