Dark Eldar are still one of my favorite armies, primarily because they were my first army, and I just love Archons. With a new codex, its time to take a look at what opportunities are out there when allying up these armies, and this morning I thought I would discuss some that I have been looking at.


Harly Death Squads
Still viable? Of course. The provides the unit with veil of tears. This has moved to a psychic power, so its first turn vulnerable, and a bad die roll means he perils and dies with his one wound. So viable yes, usable? Not as much.

Farseer
Under 2000pt games you are going for Eldrad if you are doing an Archon Death squad unit. Above that, dual FOCs open up the game more for more options.

Beyond that though, Farseers offer a lot of options for your Dark Eldar, with Guide, Prescience, and other great powers, the options are fantastic, and the Farseer is pointed out well to work with Dark Eldar

Spiritseer
These guys are also a fantastic option, and can do some amazing things. They can join dark eldar squads, and with their primaris power conceal, really add to the durability of dark eldar units.

Eldar Vehicles
Just strong tough Wave Serpents that can get your eldar units like wraithguard where you need them, and throw down a hail of fire power with serpent shields.

Fire Prisms just fit a dark eldar philosophy, and give you high strength with lance and flexible firing options with a long range.

Wraithguard
Need some durablility and tank killing guns? Wraithguard have this in spades. Great options where Dark Eldar are weakest.

Wraithblades
Here is your new deathstar unit. Simply add Archons, Farseer, and enjoy the show. High toughess means a lot less wounds coming in at your T6 squad. Not to mention that a re-rollable 3+ or 4++ save is nothing to sneeeze at.

Combining the usage of Splinter Cannons from the Dark Eldar alongside the pyschic powers and durability of the Eldar can be a challenge to find the right combinations. I do feel though that they work well together, and that done right, will be devastating on the tabletop.

What else have you been trying?

13 Comments:

  1. I see alot of what you are saying, and am tempted to remove my vypers for a trueborn in a venom with prescience. Adding some poisoned shots to the eldar's bladestorm just seems like a great idea.

    I am running a Iyanden list and with their primarus in Battle, the Wraithblades/archon/seer jumping out of a serpent deep up table sounds like fun. Furious charge? Sure. With a the fast bike/skimmer list and jMCs scourges might be an option as well. With all the tanks and bikes I am running, not to mention a very big mini-titan (is that an oxymoron?), threat is split up alot.

    You know, warpspiders and scourges could really work together. Thats alot of jumping around and ranged shenanigans there.

    I see both these armies working real well together with their combined use of speed and trickology.

    I dont have the book in front of me but can a archon take a reaver jetbike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Archons cannot take jetbikes

      Delete
    2. Also archons cant get in wave serpents.

      Delete
  2. I'm liking the Wraithblades, even though they were used to crush my forces last game.

    I played a tyranid army against a Dark Eldar with Eldar allies last night in a 1500 point game. Elf man took a big squad of wraithblades while his vipers sat back and filled my monstrous creatures with poison shots.

    I couldn't get my swarm past his wraithblades. Some of my swarm had poison and that would only do 4-5 wounds and he'd save all except 1 of those and I'd take 11 wounds back that I couldn't save.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you said it absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as i build my eldar up a bit, dark eldar are right in the middle of my sights. Tau, eldar and dark eldar are/ will be my only three armies, unless demiurgs get a codex.... As such im very intrested to hear your eldar/ dark eldar tactics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I currently run 20 warriors with two cannons behind a defense line as my back field objective holders. I am thinking about swapping my archon for the duke and adding a farseer and some eldar jetbikes. Take guide and two divination powers and you have a WS4, reroll to hit and wounds on a 3+ unit putting out 30 shots at 24".

    ReplyDelete
  6. A way to make the Harlies work, or at least make them less suicidal, is to keep them with/in a Raider with grisly trophies. Allowing re-rolls on the Shadowseer's psychich test.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meh- Allies are cheese. I've won plenty of games without them. When a player who isn't chaos shows up with a Heldrake we know he's cheese. God forbid someone plays a game with their own army. And God Forbid someone plays within 1 army chart (It is fun beating the cheese who show up with 3 Heldrakes and 3 Havoc Teams in a pure chaos army).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah seriously! Anyone who doesn't play just one army the way you do is obviously just a cheese whore. I mean 3 Helldrakes, and 3 Havocs is the only list acceptable by non cheesey players. I mean for any codex. People who play anything other than Chaos Marines are soooo cheese!

      Delete
  8. Hi Naftka, kinda new here, ive been playing since november and have DA and WE and really want to try something new so thanks to your blog im picking up some Dark Eldar despite many people saying not to

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm maybe a bit late here...

    I thought of replacing my 3 ravagers with an Hornet Squadron of 3(scatter laser + pulse laser (105pts each)).
    Means I can also grad a Talos or two.

    Otherwise, 1 Farseer on a jetbike with a squad of 6 Wind riders.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally don't like allies as it is being used as a cop out way of covering weaknesses in your army with no thought to fluff or tactics.

    On topic, how about using a spirit seer with the harlequins for guaranteed conceal if the shadow seer fails to cast or perils? Also buffs from powers like empower or fearless from embolden could be useful.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...