It seems that some in the Gygax family has grabbed the tradmark for TSR and started a magazine called Gygax Magazine, who's first edition was supposed to be released this month. (havent seen it). If it does come out, even though rpgs are a thing of my past, I would still pick up the magazine.

Many of us still remember those very old days of Greyhawk, and the early days of gaming. I recall them with a lot of good memories, and still have some of those old books. (I am in the process though of getting rid of them). Still though when something with a trademark TSR comes up by the Gygax family, it catches my attention.


Please know that I have not signed up for any news or updates on the magazine, simply because I am always weary. So if you do so, do so at your own risk. here is the link
http://gygaxmagazine.com/

This information comes from Grognardia, a blog, where you can find a few more details if you are interested.
Hi guys, this is Jayson. I'm the editor for Gygax Magazine.

Gygax Magazine is myself, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, James Carpio, and Jim Wampler. Our first issue is out in December; since it's not finished yet, we've been pretty quiet about things until it's ready.

Just to address some of the questions, I thought it was best that I leave a reply. We do own the trademark for TSR, and have since December of 2011. We are a new company, not the old TSR, as they were purchased by Wizards in the '90s. The trademark was abandoned about nine years ago, and we registered it in 2011. 

We decided the best thing to release first as TSR was a gaming magazine, because we wanted a way to bridge the traditions of the old guard with the awesome new games that are out today.

19 Comments:

  1. Hopefully it brings back a return to the glory days of tabletop RPGs. I only really enjoyed D&D through second edition, when Wizards acquired the company and switched over to 3rd, I found it wasn't close to the same game. Catered to power gamers, and very little roleplaying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree whole Heartedly. Even the level and details of supplements dropped up, I mean you'll never beat the level of detail and quality that went into the Players Handbooks expansions like the fighters handbook with upteen kits to customise the classes. I switched to more stand alone games like Call of Cthulu for my actual roleplaying fix nowadays. Id I do fancy a bit of powergaming, there's always Warhammer Quest :)

      Delete
    2. 4th edition was out and out aweful. with pathfinder, and now apparently TSR riseing from the ashes I'd say it's an open question if WOTC will be able to recapture the old D&D playerbase they've aliennated so strongly

      Delete
    3. Out and out awful? No. Not what you're looking for in a game? Quite possibly.

      My group loves 4E (and also Pathfinder, and quite enjoying the 5E playtest stuff), but personally I can't stand old style AD&D or retro clones now. Horses for courses and all that.

      EN World have got a contents list on their news page for issue one of the new magazine, looks like there might be some interesting stuff in it - including stuff for the AGE system, so looks like it's not gonna be D&D/D20 exclusively, which is nice.

      Delete
    4. Oh.. don't even bring up 4ED.. It's honestly just MMORPG rules brought to pen and paper. Threat tables? Ugh..

      Delete
    5. 4ed is more like a board game with rp elements (like warhammer quest, advanced heroquest etc.) than a real rpg. Is it bad? Not if you aren't looking for roleplay. 3rd ed could be a perfectly good rpg though... Unless you are playing with people who insist on bringing a board game mentality to it.

      Delete
    6. M00ncakes nailed 4th ed really. Our grp plays Pathfinder and has for a long time but are sort of moving away from it. I am interested in this story and TSR the purveyors of all things geek from my childhood but think they'll struggle.

      Delete
  2. Our group plays the Pathfinder RPG regularly and we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so remember the early days. Chunky pictures, simple rules, and beer and M&M's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. UHMM!!! Milking a dead cow...nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cover brings back some memories! It's from the original Greyhawk Boxed set, my first (and still favourite) D&D world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't matter what edition we were using to govern our dice rolls, we still did our thing. Lots of pot, laughs and chips. The DM never knew when we were gonna sit in a inn and roleplay the entire day away and neither did we. :)

    BellumsittingonacouchVinco

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are crazy
    3.0-3.5 was a total workable system
    Ad and d was boring AND useless with basic skill rules like craft and creating items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There will be lawyers. Gail's already got the claws out on ENWorld:

    "I wish to clear up any confusion I am the proper owner of the use of the name of my late husband, E. Gary Gygax. And furthermore would ask respect from his public and children from his first marriage, who are fully aware I own all rights to the use of his name and likeness, and all intellectual properties.

    We have previously informed Jason Elliot of my ownership rights.

    I can understand the enthusiasm for this project and will remain neutral in regard to its merits however, not at the expense of the Gary Gygax Estate, which represents his wishes."

    I honestly can't imagine a world where Gary's wishes include his 2nd wife suing his children... but that's where we're headed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like a B. The children carry the last name, and can use their last names how they wish.

      Delete
  9. "even though rpgs are a thing of my past"

    You're missing out dude. There is some awesome rpg to be had out there at the moment including a new wave of alternative rpg systems.

    You can even get away with de-spruing and cleaning your 40k figures while playing (well my group does anyway)!...;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless the land of the free TM

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...