Keeping it light on rumors regarding the Hobbit, we have a rumor that discusses what we might be seeing regarding a new game, or a remake of an old one.


Please remember that these are rumors

via GrizBe over on Heresy-Online
 The Hobbit.
We've got the first comfirmation that The Hobbit sets are definately comming soon. We all knew they were inevitable, but stores (My local one, and several others accross the North West that I know of) have now been told as of saturday, to pull all Mines of Moria starter sets, and several other items from shelves...

As we know, this only happens when new sets are due soon... Soo.. speculations as to whats comming... or if anyone cares, can start now. Chances are White Dwarf leak will be seen before December...

Edit: And now for some more solid details:

The LotR tabletop game will be renamed "The Hobbit". War of the Rings stays the same (for now). This is to emphasize on the difference inbetween the two systems. I've heard rumours of a "Battle of the five armies" supplement for War of the Ring, but I would not expect this anytime sooner then the 3rd movie. Probably more an educated guess then a rumour.

The one product for the Hobbit in december (as far as I know we really only get one) is a boxed game in the lines of Dark Vengence and Island of Blood. It contains more miniatures then Dark Vengance. No definite info on the contents, but 13 dwarves, a hobbit and a wizard should be a safe bet. No words on the opponents. I'm guessing goblins and wargs, with something big the dwarves can steamroll.

The box is supposed to contain scenery.

The box also comes with a brand new rule book. It's a complete new set of rules, though they are probably based on the current rules. Though I am very excited about this, hold your horses. It's still just rumours.

For the time being, the only way to obtain the book ist the boxed set. No hardcover, allthough I'd expect that to change in the future.

Now the downside is the price is located somewhere around 100€. That would roughly put it in the same category as the current Space Marine battalion (check your regional website for price comparison)

There were hints on a limited edition of the boxed set. Worked pretty well for Dark Vengance.

Enjoy, and take it with salt, as always.

27 Comments:

  1. Changing LotR to The Hobbit, the whole game system? Kinda big change.
    But regarding that, how many actually play LotR?
    I know it had its fans back when I was a whipper snippet, but I've only seen dust-covered Aragorns since then. Mumakil was cool though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen several large groups of it across the US, but while the groups themselves tend to be large, there aren't many of them. It's the typical case where if a few well liked people play it, others give it a try and play it as well. It has no player base what so ever where I live, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few people atleast buy the starter set next month.

      Delete
    2. I've never once seen a game of it played. James Wappel's blog had pics of a recent LotR tourney that he went to.

      Delete
    3. I worked at GW when the Two Towers came out and I can tell you that LoTR made GW a MINT lol. We actually hit all our targets on the 10th day of the month (normally fought to get them by the final day every other month) soley based on the Two Towers Game. Just because you dont see tonnes of people playing it down at the local GW or game store doesnt mean there arent tonnes of collectors or people playing at home getting it.

      Delete
    4. i used to love lotr, but got bored of it though the repeatition, it wasnt supported as much as the other to core games, and so inbalance issues where more apparent. this is especially the case with wotr.

      sad to see it re-branded as the hobbit, but i guess they got to make money. hope the game doesnt change to much tho

      Delete
    5. When I worked for GW, they told us that while LotR was small here in the states, it outsold both 40k and Fantasy in the UK. I can also tell you we had quite a number of LotR customers - they just weren't as visible.

      Delete
    6. Get ready for the biggest 40k ward rewrite ever! Watchers in the dark... hobbits.

      Delete
    7. @ old_guy

      customers that are not as visible... got to be a one ring joke in there somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Uh, cool for the folks who are excited about this. For me, a 40k junky...grrr.

    Bellumvinco

    ReplyDelete
  3. My local GW store has also started to retire the Mines of Moria sets

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my local game store, no one play LOTR games. They sell some of the figs but they sit there for month and no one buys them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah my local GW (in the UK) hasn't been able to order Mines of Moria sets or the hardback rulebook for a few weeks now

    ReplyDelete
  7. About time lord of the rings got some love instead of the normal 40k and fantasy. (I play all systems) So I am SUPER excited for this.

    I would have liked them to re-write the entire book and kept the name they have at the moment instead of calling it : the hobbit.

    could be interesting, will certainly take a look at it and make my judgement after reading the white dwarf and playing a game with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's weekly LoTR Play at our local game store.

    Glad I just bought a discounted Mines of Moria on eBay. Had a feeling it would be retired when the Hobbit came out.

    Any details on what else is being pulled, so they can be bought first?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It appeared that the Journey Books were pulled from the US website a little while ago. As of today the LoTR Rulebook is no longer on the GW website, though it was there this past Sunday. All that's left of the basic game rule are the Army Books that came out not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know whats cool about the new Hobbit stuff?
    You don't get tempted to buy new models because its not a 40k or whfb release.
    It will give some time to finish my painting backlog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't played lotr since the magazine was out years ago where you got models with it, im seeing this as a chance to sort my painting backlog too, that is if my wifey doesnt get me the cron megaforce....

      Delete
  11. My daughter loves The Hobbit, this is a great way to get her engaged in the hobby so I'm excited about this. Maybe it could become a family thing.

    I played the LoTR game, didn't like it. I hope this system is also easy, but a bit more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the uk website, click lord of the rings tab then gift ideas and it shows the hobbit stategy battle game logo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. US site has it to, but it doesn't go anywhere.

      Delete
  13. I love the LotR game so it's nice to have some Hobbit rumors finally. Although isn't their already a Battle of Five Armies supplement? It's warmaster scale I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a warmaster scale battle of five armies, been considering putting mine on eBay as its barely been touched..

      Delete
  14. I see a group play LOTR at my local shop a lot. They also seem to have no problems buying pieces to use off the rack during their sessions. Gotta be profitable for the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! I hope GW do a fine job seeing that they owe WFB & 40k...hell, pretty much their entire existence to J.R.R. Tolkien anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am 39 years old, and I played Games Workshop titles when I was a child, a teenager, a young boy... but then something changed and i lost contact, about 17-18 years ago. Do you know what happened that made my interest return? Games Workshop annouced they wee making Lotr game system. Today, after a couple of years playing Lotr, finally managed to re-introduce myself to 40k, and i am the proud owner of three 40k armies. I really love 40k, but it was Lotr the reason why i returned to the hobby(it).

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...