This week, Necrons have returned to the tabletop near you with a vengeance. I have read through quite a bit of the codex, and their guns and units look amazing. I am really hoping that someone is ready to play them this week in my gaming circles. I want to play against them, with a list they are designed to beat, my Imperial Guard.

Presence of Faeit is my weekly editorial. I generally report during the week what is going on, and today is my day to comment on what exactly it is that I am thinking of.

Necrons Are Here;
I have been spending my Necron reading time glancing over the stats and wargear. So all the fluff I have not yet touched. I will be doing a necron codex review, but not until I get a good feel for the codex.

My first impressions are that we will be seeing a ton of scarabs. S6 weapons will be the key to stopping them, as they are just massive hard to stop. Being fearless and beasts, these 15pt models will swarm the battlefield and quickly. Can you say where is my S6 flamer? Without one, you are vulnerable to these 3 wound units. Yes you read that right, for 15 pts you get a 3 wound model that will rip apart armoured lines.

The elite sections of the codex will also be very pressed for choices. Deathmarks, Praetorians, C'tan, and Lychguard make those elite sections very crowded. I am loving the Deathguard, and cannot wait to see them used.

Other things that stand out for me, are the Night Scythes. I did not expect them to be a dedicated transport for so many different types of units. This is a non-open topped fast skimmer that has the dark eldar supersonic and aerial assault rules.(why it needs aerial assault I do not know: it only has one weapon) It comes with a tesla destructor, which is exciting S7 AP- Assault 4 twin linked.

Now in reverse, I was surprised the Ghost Ark had so few units to be taken with. Even immortals may not take this transport as they may only take a night scythe. The ghost ark solely belongs to the Necron Warriors. This makes me think what is going on, since the primary dedicated transport for most necron units is not the one they released. The ghost ark looks cool, but as many people are already saying they do not like the new warriors, will we see many ghost arks on the tabletop?


6th Edition Tactics
Just a quick thought on this since I was talking a lot of dark eldar this week. If the rules for shooting do include a chart that takes into consideration how fast a unit is moving, the raider and other fast moving skimmers suddenly become more than a fast moving deathtrap for warriors etc. If their speed becomes the one thing that protects these units, a fast aethersail moving vehicle may be extremly hard to hit, and recieve a cover save/ 5+ invul save.

The return of the raider spammed Dark Eldar? I think so. In fact it rather excites me to think of once again fielding a 9 raider force.


Dark Eldar Battle Report
This is not mine, but was sent into me via a Sent One. I have been discussing a webway list with him back and forth for almost a month, and he was finally able to field it. Here is his quick battle report, with some pics. This army is based upon my Dark Eldar webway lists I posted up quite some time ago.

via a Sent One
Here's my BatRep against Orcs today.

It wasn't the deployment I wanted. Dawn of War. Did what you probably would've done. Won roll of and chose deploy and go first. Orc didn't try to seize initiative.

Put 20 warrior with Hae in the middle of the board and drop webway. Raiders came on and tank shocked.

20 orc squad ran off the board. Made the first two leadership rolls. Third did the trick. Great advice on the flickerfields.

Saved my raiders a couple of times. Didn't need the V. Orc shooting did enough to 20 warrior for leadership roll. They failed ran back. Failed their regroup and ran again off the board. A lot of high rolls.

Outside of that it went by the numbers. Orc player called in at top of fifth. He had 6 models left. Only lost 26 (warriors and hae) and one immobilized raider. It wasn't pretty. Down right ugly. Vect killed Gaz and Snikrot. Was surprised how easily it went by the numbers.

I'm sure I've said this before. I doubted your adjustments. After thinking about them and using them today, I'm sorry for doubting you.

Will probably put this up on your webway portal blog. ( I did it for him)

Thank you for all the information.
















15 Comments:

  1. Minor point but I believe you mean Deathmarks rather than Deathguard :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had to hit modifierz in 2nd... you can´t have both cover + to hit modi

    the problem i saw with the to hit modi was that you would
    A. always nagoitiat over +1 more or less
    B. low BS units benefited from this rule since 6up is the worst you can get and if you allready are 5+ its not much of a diffrenc... you just don´t shoot either way.

    IMO skimmer & bikes are good enough as is... maybe give them a constant 5+ or 6+ cover and leave the rest of the rules as is.

    to hit modis would make nobbikers or ork bikes in general even more OP than already

    ReplyDelete
  3. anon, it doesnt matter if you cannot get a cover save. It is apparent that cover saves will move down to a 5+ anyhow, but a flickerfield and a raider will get its 5+ invul.

    First anon, corrected the deathmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This week, Necrons have returned to the tabletop near you with a vengeance. I have read through quite a bit of the codex, and their guns and units look amazing. I am really hoping that someone is ready to play them this week in my gaming circles. I want to play against them, with a list they are designed to beat, my Imperial Guard. "



    Natfka, haven't you heard, internet geniuses everywhere have already dubbed the codex "non-competitive." Not even really a reason to look at the codex anymore :O).

    Seriously though, looking forward to your write up, I always appreciate your analysis, as it tends to be well thought out. You know I'm one of the only Generals I know of that regularly brings Mandrakes in my WWP Coven army, and they do exactly what I need them to do every game. I say this only to point out there aren't many units in a 5th edition codex that I haven't envisioned an adequate use for. You're one of the few bloggers that seems to approach each unit with the mindset "what is the real opportunity for this unit to shine," rather then the dismissive "let me eliminate Units A, B, and C from the start and just focus on D and E."

    ReplyDelete
  5. new warriors? isnt the warriors box the same?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Natfka
    5+ covers are usless... better than nothin but most units have better saves and even those that have crapy saves don`t benefit from a save that is just 1+ better... caus it means 1-2 more orks liveing wich doesn´t do much in game.

    and since stormshields got buffed to 3++ and FNP is for everyone now...i would arguee there is a oposit trend

    IMO hord armys like nids, orks, ig would be useless over night... spezially if they nerf their shooting aswell with smth like a "to hit modi" from 5+ to 6+ means 50% less hits for ork lootaz ect.

    I realy don´t want to see many rule changes in 6th... the game is solid as is... apart from some broken units in some dexes
    but you don´t fix that in the main rulebook but in a FAQ




    rapid-fire buff

    blast weapon & ordance partial hits vs vehicles buff to normal str. but only glance

    ICs not being able to be picked out in melee

    and stop of wound-allocation abuse
    (no more allocating to 2 wound model grps if there are 1 wound model grps in the squad and no more Instantdeath wound allocation to a grp with 1x 1 wound model to avoid losing a full model)... (or make wound allocation abuse for all units no matter what weapon load out (nid warries ect.)

    These are the only things i want to see changed
    along with some clearer ruleing for some things like "takeing dmg inside transports" ect.

    If they do some drastic changes like mentioned in the 1st rumor set... i will quit untill 7th.
    I play vs orks all the time and i don´t want a onesided slaughter.
    No comp = No fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as shooting from Orks goes, it depends on what you're shooting at. Chinera's and Razorback would be easier to hit than they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, according to the rumors, fast vehicles are only harder to hit if they move flat out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's assuming you're not within 12 inches. If you're within 12 inches you have the option of using the current shooting chart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going form a 6+ to 5+ will double the number of expected saves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what you do to dominate orks now is just move with youre speeders all game and keep shooting from max distance... they can´t get into melee... if you have enough speeders its a NO CAN WIN situation for orks.(kinda the same for nids)

    All they can do is use Lootaz or Tankbustaz to shoot the speeders down... but if you nerf the to hit its immposible... espezialy with flyers that can move 36"

    Then you have to play mass shooty with orks wich means you will lose melee and are just playing from behind all game.

    To hit rules got changed in 3rd for a reason.
    You can´t change em back and not have other rules from 2nd back aswell. But that game was balanced for low points of what would now be 1000p.
    Haveing these rules now would just make for endless games with no chance for new players to get into the game. And even more abuse options for vet. players

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again for the advice, Natfka. Also thanks for the updates to the list and tactics.

    A word for anyone browsing this blog possibly questioning Natfka's information and tactics about Dark Eldar, don't. No doubt I'm stating the obvious. Natfka knows his Dark Eldar. Reading and re-reading "Dark Eldar Portal List - 2500" ( http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-is-3-portal-list-utilizing-several.html#more ) over and over again for 4 months, studying the rulebook and codex like Natfka does, drawing up raiders and WW deployment on paper allowed me to have a great idea of how it all comes together allowing my first battle with my new Dark Eldar to be victorious.

    (Not to sound like a broken record) You are correct, Natfka, wound allocation on Grotesque squad is a pain. It was quicker than I thought but still pain. With experience wound allocation will get easier. That is a beautiful squad. 2 Grotesques, one with Liquifier Gun, 1 Aberration, 1 Haemonculi and 1 Ancient. That was a tough squad to put down.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to playing you with SoB A Sent One. Just to see what happens of course, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also look forward to the battle, buddy. Let me know when you're free to roll some dice. Hopefully we can further into the game this time. Perhaps Fri night at another place if no one can offer their place for Dark Heresy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suspect Raiders would be counted as skimmers, not flyers. Thus, making them easier to shoot, not harder, unless they moved flat out.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...