I get quite a few emails, but this one set in particular got down to the tactical details of why my Imperial Guard Hybrid list was the way it was. While this set of emails, I think there were 4 or 5 took place over the several weeks, I figured it was time to share them.

Of course as a policy here on this blog, names are not used unless I am specifically granted permission to use them.



The list in question is listed here.
http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/08/words-of-faeit-how-army-works.html

Here is the first email:

Hi!
First of all, I hope you do not mind the sudden appearance of this email in your mailbox. I tried to use the comment button but it just wouldn't let me post to ask a couple of questions.

I am quite a newbie when it comes to playing WH40K, though I have been collecting for more than a decade. Over the past couple of years, I have been following Faeit 212, learning from your posts. In particular, I enjoy the IG posts - like the 2500pts Creed, and how you use the Vets. I like your latest post as it is something I am building my army towards - a Hydrid list with Creed. But I have a couple of question which I hope you can help enlighten me on.

First of all, is the mixing of Meltaguns and Lascanons in the Combined Infantry squad. I have always been under the impression that their disparate ranges, as well as that one is an assault weapon, while the other is a Heavy weapon, creates situations where one can fire while the other one sits and does nothing. My feel is that with 4 of each, it does not matter if the combined squad moves or not, it is still a threat. Is that the correct way of looking at it?

My second question came as I read your comment to the other comment. You mentioned that "After they run, the long orders range of Creed, orders them back into the fight, and they normally finish off whatever assaulted them." I don't quite get this, as I am still quite a newbie and trying the grasp the rules. The unit runs in the shooting phase, orders at given at the start of the shooting phase and "get back into the fight" is for units that are falling back or gone to ground. I would really appreciate it if you could help explain that so that I can optimise my IG when I eventually get round to playing with them (still in process of buying and assembling)

THank you so much for taking time out to read this email.

Warmest rgds,


My Response:
I don't mind emails.

The hybrid list is one of the most fun I have had with Imperial Guard. It utilizes a lot of tanks yet has a huge infantry capability, with lots of flexiblity.

Meltas and Lascannons. Place the meltas up front in the deployment of the unit. It gives you a 12" kill zone of just about anything that decides to cross its path. Not very many people will even attempt it. 4 lascannons and 4 meltas is just enough to get rid of almost anything entering that death zone. After all, you do not want people coming into your army, so its best to punish them accordingly.

As far as the range issue, its not really an issue. If a situation calls for moving you still are a very viable unit, and you can sit back and really wreck havoc with orders. Bring it down from Creed (leadership 10 to recieve the order thanks to the commissar), makes your lascannons twin linked. So you are firing with the kill rate even higher than a vendetta. Your orders is what makes this unit tough. If you get on the bad side of a crap load of shooting, go to ground and recieve a 2+ cover save. Creed will next round order you back up into the fight, where you can just unload on the enemy. This is also the only place you have meltas in this list, but you only really need them if a land raider or something is incoming.

The next question. I was referring to if the unit breaks from a moral check after being assaulted. This happens quite a bit, where marines will assault you, you will lose 3-5 guys and you break. Or you get hammered with shooting and break. The carapace armour really makes the unit hold its ground quite well against most shooting, as most rapid fire shooting is AP5 and this is a front line unit. Being a front line unit with a 4+ armour save, 3 plasmas, a demo charge, dual power fists, and 10 melta bombs makes it a unit to fear. They really do wipe out tremendous amounts of enemy units.

I hope that answers your questions. Its a strong list, and every unit is very much intergrated into how I play it.
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...