Dropzone Commander has some of the most amazing resin models in the industry. You can drop them, throw them against walls, and most importantly, they produce great models with a ton of detail for models at this scale. I did however have a question for Hawk Wargames about their resin that was brought up by a friend of mine.

I am not an expert at working with resin, nor am I the most knowledgeable in its applications and features. I do know that I like working with it much more than metal. I had understood that some resin was toxic, and that working with it can be hazardous, so where do the models for Dropzone compare?

Washing (Not Needed)
(Forgeworld models need this). Washing is done to remove a releasing agent which creates a glossy sheen on the resin. Dropzone Commander models require none of this.

Health Concerns (Non Toxic)
Polyurethane resin in its hardened state can pose a health concern if ingested and is not recommended for children. When working with a resin model it is always important to take precautions, especially when sanding and filing the model. Inhaling resin dust is hazardous.

So what about the resin for Dropzone Commander?
The toxicity of resin has come up playtesting Dropzone Commander, so I dropped Simon and David an email to ask about it.

Here is Hawkwargames response to the resin's toxicity.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, we were awaiting a response from our manufacturing team, however, we finally have our answer! The resin we use is Non Toxic, however when working with anything that you may be sanding or filing, we would always recommend that you do it in a well ventilated room as breathing in lot of small particles is never overly advisable!

Durability (These things are unbreakable)
When my old school Dark Eldar Talos, or a raider falls from a table, the entire universe moves in slow motion and I hold my breath. The incoming damage is going to be bad and I know it.

At Valhalla, David took his models and literally threw them around. He dropped them on the hard floors, and tossed them around. Each time I felt violated, as if some sacred line was being crossed and the model was going to shatter into a million pieces. Nothing happened. Literally.

Knowing this I still cringe when I show this off. Check out the quick video and see what happens when these models are tested (if you can bear to watch that is). Yes, I am about to toss a model against a wall.






 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...