Dropzone Commander is a 10mm tabletop wargame, that is literally rising to the top. It is simply that good. I was asked about doing to a post on the different factions of the game, I thought I would do a brief overview of each one.


The are currently 4 factions in Dropzone Commander, and a 5th one is currently being developed. (rumors). Each one plays drastically different, and has its own strengths and weaknesses. So lets start with the most familiar.


UCM-The United Colonies of Mankind.
This is humanity in the 27th century. After being wiped out and losing Earth and its core planets to an alien invader, mankind lives on the fringe worlds of its once spanning worlds. The UCM has become a massive military construct unheard of in the history of our species, and is on the eve of launching its planet by planet invasion to take back its worlds.

The UCM is the most tactically variable faction. With decent movement, a wide variety of units, and ranges with its weaponry, the UCM are able to handle most tactical situations and respond in force. Their armour is strong, so they are able to take a beating and keep on fighting. Between their gunships, fast moving scout vehicles, and tanks, the UCM is a good choice on the tabletop.



PHR- Post Human Republic
These are the humans that broke away on the verge of the alien invasion. A brief civil war on the eve of that invasion, resulted in a damaged military before the Scourge hit the core worlds, and the UCM will never forgive.

The PHR have some of the strongest guns, and have a great range with their weapons. The PHR are cyborgs, with advanced technology. Their strongest of units even have armour that will allow them to take hits that would destroy them and recieve a save.What they lack in is mobility. Once deployed, to really get any movement out of them, the dropships must be utilized to get somewhere. If you like to castle up with even stronger armour than the UCM, with stronger weaponry with great ranges, then this faction is for you. Also their fast moving aircraft are some of the most powerful in the game.



The Scourge
Alien invaders, these guys are jellyfish like parasites, that require a host. They came in and wiped out the core planets of mankind quickly. Their tanks are large skimmers, that move fast on the tabletop, and hit with an incredible punch, although their ranges are very short in comparison to the UCM or PHR. While they have very little armour, they rely upon their speed and firepower, and I must say, the plasma weaponry of their infantry. There is nothing like having to deal with a scourge building that has been taken as an infantry firebase.




Shaltari Tribes
The faction that I know the least about, (I have not faced this unit yet). They are the aliens that humanity met first in their expansion into space. They are able to transfer from body to body, so while their numbers might be less than the other factions, they have powerful shields on their vehicles to protect them.

These guys do not use dropships, and instead travel through mobile gates for deployment. Because of this, they can be the most non-predictable army on the field, and tactically possibly one of the strongest. They come with large walkers and great aircraft.

13 Comments:

  1. Love the models, how they look so different from each other. Been following it for over a year but unable to break into it with my group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PHR represent!
    Everybody else is just smalltime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must admit...I'm so tempted to begin collecting and these articles are really hitting it home for me :) PHR and Shaltari are my faves, but might wait it out for the 5th before starting.

    Might even buy two forces and get my mate's round for a few games to encourage them to play too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pfft, it'll be dead within a year if it isn't practically already. I go to one of the biggest FLGS' in S. England and I've never seen it played.

    Warmachine tournaments have just surpassed 40k in numbers, though 90% of the players don't bring painted armies so I'd rather pay Forgeworld level prices than play with those lazy winning orientated bums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a ray of sunshine. I guess if they don't play it at one store then the game is dead.

      I really like the models this company puts out. I am thinking of buying some just for the fun of painting them.

      Delete
    2. On the unpainted armies front - I personally struggle with motor control - it's not an excuse, just how things are. My painting would be best done with a roller. Thankfully a friend is perhaps the best painter around, so he gets all my models; only thing is with family and what not it takes a while to get things painted.

      Anyway, as someone who doesn't enjoy and can't really paint I can sympathise with those who don't either.

      I do agree though, it's nice to see painted armies on the tabletop.

      Delete
    3. This game is far from dead. Warmachine however is not as popular as you say around here, although it does have a following.

      Dropzone is one of the better designed games around, model wise, and game wise. It has not been around that long, and I expect it will be around for a long time.

      Delete
  5. Great Article, Im based in Ireland and we have a few guys playing now and more beginning to pick it up. Fantastic models and great quick to learn rule system. And their newer miniature releases have the same quality of design. I just want them when I see them.

    I do admit it was tough painting the models (I really need to learn how to airbrush) but the look of them at the end gives me so much satisfaction. I would recommend this game to anyone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From talking to David Lewis, creator of the game, the models are designed so that they can be painted easily.

      Primer-Base Coat-Ink-drybrush and done with details.

      I have been painting my UCM, and going with that order of paint. So far I am happy with the results.

      I know David painted all the models in the rulebook, and I do not think he used a single airbrush.

      Delete
    2. although a lot of the models in the galleries, which were not done by him, look like they were done with an airbrush.

      Delete
    3. Wow, I would love to see a video of how he painted the shaltari. I spent ages. I followed a similar pattern to what you have above. But on the shartari models there is allot of little details which I took my time in picking out. But Im very happy with results so time well spent in my opinion!

      Delete
  6. I love the game. My Scourge and UCM painted fast and look great. We have a rapidly growing game group in my area. So far we have 10 players. More who see us play are showing interest. Hawk Wargames give awesome customer service. I love the company and the game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think model price has been a factor in our gaming group in ireland not starting this. People are getting more and more annoyed with GW price hikes for no reason (Dire avengers anyone?) and loathe to start another system that needs a decent outlay of money. People just don't seem to have that amount of spare cash these days. The Dropzone starter sets seem a bit pricey from an outsiders point of view. Lower model counts such as Infinity and Bolt Action are getting more popular. However, saying that I can see this really kicking off with the new starter set. It equals the FoW open fire! set for value and we are already talking about picking up 2 boxes between us.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...