Of course these circumstances happen. Over all I am pretty friendly at the gaming table with my opponent, and the people that are cycling up to talk to me. This happened last week, so I figured it was time to throw it out into the open.

A player I didn't know at a local watering hole, was watching the game. I normally do not hit the spot on league night, but I was looking talk to a few players that I do not normally bump into. I don't know this guy, but he seemed alright, and was simply watching the game. I had noticed him earlier, because it was someone I hadn't seen before, and while not impossible, it doesn't happen that often. I was in a fun game, so light occasional talk from the sidelines is OK with me, although I always have to seem to remind people that after the game I would get a chance to discuss what I was being asked.

Here are a couple things to not do at someone else's table during or immediately after the game. It is OK to quickly bring up a rules question about the game. It is not OK to argue it. It wasn't so much that he asked a question, it is that he was trying to correct us on how "feel no pain" works incorrectly.

Being the person I am at the table, I handed him my rule book. It is highlighted and marked up well, so it takes me literally a second between dice rolls to flip to the correct page, and hand it to him. His argument was this for the curious, "A bolter shooting a dark eldar warrior with feel no pain, cannot take a feel no pain roll, because the bolter is AP5, and would never allow the dark eldar warrior to take an armour save since a dark eldars armour save is 5+."

Now being in the middle of the game, I gave a simple "it doesn't work that way", and gave him a quick why. It went back and forth a couple times.

His response "but you could argue that it does because that is what the rule says....".

Which I quickly and sharply cut off before the went into the long reading of the rulebook style of arguing said, "you can argue anything you want, but not during my game." I hate being dismissive towards other players in the hobby.

To make a long post short, he did drop it, and left the table. I felt bad afterwards, because that is not the kind of impression I like to give people. However his table etiquette was definitely off.

The Point: Trying to argue with a person during their game, or immediately afterwards is a definite no no. Remember that you are interrupting the game, so be polite when you talk to a person in the middle of the game, and be brief.

2 Comments:

  1. You are definitely right.

    Arguing about rules is time consuming enough, but facing one of those "rules lawyers" mid-game is exhausting AND breaks your concentration.

    I would not have done it otherwise.

    Keep up the great blog !!

    Best regards,
    Callios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious, why would you be able to take the save?

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...