This week was another extremely busy week with the flow of rumors. It was like the river had been dammed up for almost a year, and the floodgates finally failed. The highlight of course was the release of the Necrons. It is nothing short of an amazing release. I expect to see a ridiculous number of Necron players flooding my local watering holes.

Presence of Faeit is my weekly editorial. I generally report during the week what is going on, and today is my day to comment on what exactly it is that I am thinking of.


Necron Vehicles
The new Necron army could very well be fielded with very large AV 13 vehicles with Quantum Shielding. For those that do not yet know, Quantum Shielding gives a +2 AV to the vehicle on all facings until a penetrating hit takes down the shielding. While that is an open topped skimmer player like my self's wet dream, they look pretty expensive so far.

The one thing that keeps haunting me about Quantum Shielding, is negating the strength of the Missile Launcher. Think of this, 9+ av 13 vehicles. Many current lists just cannot handle this without getting in close with their Melta guns, which should make a Necron player just smile.

While Necrons are a great shooting ranged army, they look like they have some extremely nasty close ranged abilities, not to mention things like deathmarks and a great number of rapid fire weapons. Bring in those transports too close, and the Scarabs will get ya, The monolith will suck ya up into it, and of course the new customizable C'tan. There is just so many tools in this codex, that it is turning out to be extremely deadly to the standard S8 Missile Launcher.

The return of the single shot Lascannon? Dealing with Necrons at a range is definitely going to have to include a few of these. MSU'ing your lascannon shots brings about a new strength in bringing down Quantum shielding across the board, while other things like typhoons, Longfangs, all the Autocannons that I hold onto dearly, take down vehicles that lose their shielding. This could very well add an additional shot needed to take down a Necron Vehicle, making them very durable indeed.

Those vehicles are huge. No hiding these....... Oh wait, that monolith can hide just about anything.


Release Schedule
There are a lot of conflict here on what codex's are going to be released, and I am sorry to say that I think Black Templar and Dark Angels are on the 2013 schedule. Kind of makes me sad really, as I would enjoy seeing the Black Templar return to power, but I think the latest updates with improved storm shields etc, was a quick fix that was intended to last past the 2012 6th edition release into the following year.

So what do I think next year will show based on the rumor mill and what I have heard? Tau, Chaos Legions, and Eldar for 2012, with a mid year 6th edition release. I am not yet willing to placed Tau before Chaos Legions and this is why; I expect a January or early year release in the Fantasy range of army books. I then expect to see a march April release in 40k, which is a toss up between Chaos Legions and Tau.

I can logically put either codex release in front, and that is my current conflict on the subject. Its very possible that Games Workshop is thinking something similar as well, and have not yet decided. I am hoping by years end that we get a hint of the proper order of things.


6th Edition
The one exciting thing that is driving me to pour over that beautiful Necron army, is the attempt everyone will be making to divine 6th edition rules changes. The rapid firing change alone will change the dynamic of shooting. If you have not heard the rumor is Standing Still= 2 shots at 24". Moving= 1 shot at 24", 2 shots at 12". Talking about closing the gap between a bolter and a storm bolter.


Modeling
I just finished my Techmarine this week. While all metal, I was surprised how much I enjoy this model. I needed one for what I was considering fielding this coming week on the tabletop, and the model with the servo harness is quite the amazing metal model. I do wish it was in finecast so it was easier to work with, but I love the look and feel of the model.
No pics yet, sorry.


My  One Necron Model
Back in third edition, just before Necrons were released, Games Workshop sent out single warriors in a little bag as a promotion to stores. Well, one of my local stores gave away their model as a prize in the tournament, and so I still have this little model sitting in its bag from the day I won it. Not really much to say on it, but I thought it was interesting that I found a Necron model amongst my bits bags the other day. So Technically I can say I have had a Necron army since 3rd edition? lol.


Faeit 212
This week, I am hoping to get back on schedule. I know we will be hearing more about Necrons and other rumors, but I miss the rules discussions and tactics. The rumors and information were just coming in too fast this week to handle. I think I even missed one or two still sitting in draft form.

I have ran into some problems with updating the site, and part of it comes from my lack of technical expertise. There were a couple blogger issues as well mid week, that had me starting over, thinking I had messed up and destroyed the changes I was adding to the blog. I was updating everything on my computer, just to try and figure out the self inflicted problem, when it turned out that it was just blogger behaving oddly. So thank you to those that work on helping us bloggers in the help forums, and thanks for those helpful emails.

22 Comments:

  1. What i'd heard is that Dark Angels might feature in starter box 6th ed. Rationale for this is that this box will be marines versus chaos marines and the Dark Angel fluff is perfect for this. To follow on with Dark Angels later in year. Also got the impression Black Templar were very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking back at the release schedules in the months before 5th Ed 40k and 8th Ed WHFB. It seems like there's always a final release in Jan or Feb, which might be Tau, and a new faction, in this case Chaos Legions, in May, just before the new Edition releases in June, with the new Boxset in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not want a starter set with two marine armies. It's bad enough already looking around my school gaming group and seeing that over 90% of people there own a power armoured army.
    @Druchii Monkey: Evidence, please, for your statement regarding Black Templars and Dark Angels. Current rumours, as Natfka has helpfully put above, suggest otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to Ward's post on GW Quantum Shielding dose nothing for rear armor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garhdo, if there is a fantasy release set in Jan or febuary, a 40k release seems very unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the double marine starte box rumor came from BoK and i don´t take him very serious caus he jumps on anything just to constantly blog. Also a lot of the details going along with that rumor where just insane and would if true translate into 6-8 houre games.

    Historicly we always had marines vs xenons in the box... i dought it will be any diffrent next time.

    I also think next will be a WFB dex in Jan. prob VPs
    And then in march Tau or BT since those are the oldest books.
    But we could also be seeing a WD dex again earlyer.
    We will see.

    But one thing i am sure of, haveing looked at the new necrons.... prices will go up by at least 3-5,-€ for most kits next spring. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not mind seeing a starter box set with Chaos Legions and another Marine. In fact I Would rather enjoy it, because with a few simple conversions, it would make starting a brand new Chaos Legions army very easy. Double the bang for your money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rumour just from a few friends and in-store chats and observations. No massive insider knowledge and not linked to BoK. It may not happen but if it doesn't there will be quite a lot of marine activity next year including Dark Angels and Black Templars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a release every month, so a fantasy release in jan, followed by something 40K in feb isn't unlikely. For example before the 8th ED Warhammer release there was Nids in Jan, then Beastmen, Battle Missions, Blood Angels, Orcs Second wave, Spearhead and then the new edition. Based on that we could be looking at one new faction codex and completion of an existing wave before 6th drops in June.
    And I agree that Chaos v Marines starter box would be brilliant for converting either way into a starter army.

    ReplyDelete
  10. or to relate in a more 40k way, before 5th dropped we had Orks in Jan followed by Harad for LOTR, then Vamps, Legendary Battles, Chaos Daemons, Mordor and then 5th Edition. So two 40K releases, two LOTR, two FB and a fantasy expansion in six months! so we could have Tau and Legions both before 6th Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Natfka.... yeah but just marines would suck... you still need rhinos or razors and if you look at recent price policy i don´t think it will be such a bargain as AOBR was/is

    and good luck selling old marine stuff on ebay if you get spamed with marines in the starter kit.


    I would rather see IG or NIDs in the starter box or any army wich is expensiv due to high model count...
    would be wiser from GW perspectiv too i would think... since marines sell good as is.

    But either way its fin as long as its a bargain and its not tau or DE in the box :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the reply, Druchii Monkey. By the sound of it, your friends pay more attention to these things than mine, and according to Garhdo, you could be right if they do releases that quickly. One point which backs this up is that they have got rid of waves in their releases, so each release will be fairly major, not just a few random units they forgot to release last time.
    @Natfka: It would take a fair amount of work to convert most marine factions into Chaos, but it is probably easier than trying to sell them to other people. And if you can easily convert the Chaos into normal marines, then they are not real Chaos Space Marines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. S***, just had a horrible thought. When people say CSM in the starter set, do they mean Chaos Legions, or Chaos Renegades? If it's the latter, then I will not buy the starter set, as they are really just Marines with a different paint scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, its rather hard to imagine why GW needs a codex for Renegade SM when you can just use one of the many normal SM codexes and just paint/model your marines slightly differently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. For those of you worried about price hikes, may I recommend Wayland Games. I'm planning an apocalypse scale Necron force (if I like the Codex) and they will be where I'll be buying from. Ok, their prices rise with the games workshop, but at least they keep the discount.

    Not sure of the exact % of the discount but the finecast a box of bloodletters sells for £12.60. I think games workshop charges £15. Ok, your only saving £2.40 but think of the army-wide discount. Save up, buy half or all you want of the army, and you will save on delivery also. Just a thought. It's what I do.

    PS: The box of bloodletters is roughly $23.40 or 18 euros from Wayland Games. Please accept my maths maybe a little off. Hope this helps.

    PPS: If you know of a better bargain, I'd be overjoyed to have it rubbed in my face. I'm always looking to save.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PPPS: The bloodletters are not finecast. Type error there: 'not sure of the discount on finecast but a box of bloodletters...' Sorry if I caused a sudden shock.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I hope chaos legions comes out before tau... my daemons are having trouble against my eldar friend...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too Natfka thought that the new Necorn vehicles would shake the game up, but I now believe it won't be as much as I initially thought and here's why:

    Open topped. Sure, AV13 is harder to pen w/ a ML than AV11, but the bonus is, you now havre an opportunity to wrecka vehicle even wit a glance. While not great (odds wise) it'll be something every Necron player will have to consider.

    The other two things I seeing happening with this new release is a shift in the overall competitive scene away from MSU primarily because an MSU marine army won't be able to outshoot an strong Necron army. 'Crons just have that vehicular and unit durability to shrug off fire. So all those 5 man GH squads I don't see lasting much longer. The only truly effective way I see for killing Necrons is in CC. W/ army wide I2 you're going to want to clsoe the gap, pop some rounds off at them, and then get stuck in and wipe them out. And weak 5 man squads just won't be able to do this effectively.

    (As an aside, as much as I hate it, this alone is why I think 6th ED is changing the assault and shooting phases - thye no longer want to give assault units "immunity" if they wipe out their opponent in their opponents turn. Basically if you assault someone you're going to either want to win it immediately, or hold out until your following turn to win so you won't get shot.)

    The other thing I see with this release is Necrons being more of a hybrid mech force. I have a feeling those transports and vehicles are going to be very expensive, and let's face it, a T4 4+ dude that can resurrect himself every turn on a 5+ is going to require a lot of shooting to kill. I also see most people taking 10man or stronger squads as Necrons don't seem (right now anyway) to be built for MSU.

    My initial thought anyhoo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good thoughts Roland. The idea that timing the assault phases (which is an art form along with a little luck), will be changing sounds very interesting. I don't have a take on it yet, but it will definetly spice things up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. good idea about weyland games, i'll just buy the models they design in future and save a couple of bucks a box when GW closes then weyland have nothing to sell anymore...oh wait, that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol @ Anon with no business sense

    I don't think GW's iron tight grip on their table top monopoly will be seriously threatened by indie retailers. Shops like Waylands can afford an average 10% discount because GW has a 5000% mark-up on their products and can easily afford to dabble in wholesale to 3rd parties.

    GW and Waylands both still make bank even if you're getting a discount, so you may as well look for the best deal you can get on your ten cents worth of plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, yes this post is really good and I have
    learned lot of things from it about blogging.

    thanks.
    Also visit my blog ... day trading forex

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...