Codex Dataslates arrived in the month of December, and what they are is short digital releases that can be virtually be done on the drop of a hat to release new and sometimes exciting new rules, units, and formations to the game. There is very little background with them, well you can say its brief and when you take that in comparison to a Codex Supplement its just the opposite.


A codex supplement like what we have seen in the past with armies like Iyanden have been nice. I like them a lot, and I have read all the ones I own from from to back. The narrative has been fun and the Iyanden one I have read more than once.

Codex Supplements have a lot of narrative background only the briefest of rules. In this regard, I find the dataslates are much more balanced, and do not require something akin to codex release to get us the rules that we need for all the smaller factions.

So could dataslates be replacing codex supplements? Look at this... we had very solid rumors that a codex supplement based on the Ultramarines Tyrannic War Veterans a few months back. Its very likely that the complaint of only a few rules pages in codex supplements, made the dataslate much more appealing and logical to release in its place.

So the big question comes up, are Dataslates replacing codex supplements. I think they might be. One our latest rumors suggests this, and I for one will not be surprised if we start seeing this happen with armies in the near future.

I personally really like Codex Supplements. The reason I buy them, is the literally read through all the backstory, which is so much more intense and fun than what we have been getting out of even a codex release. Perhaps they will just stop publishing hard copies of codex supplements.

I have no problems having codex supplements hitting all the major factions. I do with they had more rules to them, or new ways to field units, but I do like them a lot. I also like dataslates. They are a good way to introduce smaller groups or bands into the game. I would like to see both continue on, at least digitally rather than see one win out over the other.

While this article is just my own thoughts on the subject, and is a response to previous rumor and its direction, I think if this happens, we will be finding out very soon. Here is a link to the rumor discussed.
http://natfka.blogspot.com/2014/01/would-games-workshop-stop-making.html
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...