Already I am starting to hear and find reports of the new book in peoples hands. The book is live in stores in less than 24 hours.
Death Company Chaplain
Some previous rules leaks
via anonymous sources on Faeit 212
I'll be blunt in that this is not going to be the strongest update that my codex could see. It's not going to be crap, though, and a lot of people are crying foul and that the sky is falling. This update will be able to fight and is going to be extremely nasty if used correctly. I'll get the ugly out of the way:
- No points adjustments
- No 2 wound Techmarines
- No updated datasheets for Dreadnoughts or Scouts (however, the FAQ took care of that)
- Vanguard Veterans still cost the same and so do their upgrades
- Terminators are still the same cost
- Some formations are updated and nothing in Shield of Baal: Exterminatus that was not expressely brought into this book was rolled into Angel's Blade. The ONLY formations part of the Angel's Blade detachment are the ones in this book, meaning your Exterminatus formations won't benefit from the overall.
- No free transports for a full Battle Company
- No additions to the codex (Stormtalon, Stormhawk, AA tanks, meaning we still lack Fighters and anti-air)
All of that said, this is a book that's going to be good. One misconception I want to clear up is that someone reported that ANY character that could take relics could take the Hammer of Baal. ONLY the Terminator Captain can take it. The good:
- Terminator Captains won't invalidate you current models and profiles. It's an alternate way to build them that makes the Karlaen model easier to dance around but gives you some new options to build.
- Death Company Chaplains will have the most flexibility of any Chaplain build.
- Assault and Devastator Marines have been updated and the eviscerator and grav cannon are in. Cyber cherubs as well.
- The formations won't break the game, but they can be very powerful when used properly.
- The Baal Predator is going to be absolutely sick in squadrons because of their shear volume of shots and ability to re-roll 1's to wound, especially as assault cannons and heavy bolters typically wound on 2+ and 3+ respectively.
- The Rapid Assault Force and Fire Support Force in particular will help to avoid "stragglers" when you build a list. Decurion/Craftworld Forces/Strike Forces are known to be restrictive and force you to take an extra CAD or allied force to pick up that ONE extra heavy support slot that can't fit into your force normally. RAF and FSF formations are a 1-3 thing which will help to avoid those squads getting left in the cold or using alternate list builds.
- Death Company in the Death Company Strike Force DO get the rumored Stormraven dedicated transport. However, it won't be free.
- The Death Company Chaplain naturally takes from the Relics of Baal list, but will get Death Company relics access when taken in its detachment type.
- Lemartes chewing up an Elite slot as a single model can now be easily negated in a Death Company strike force.
- The Golden Host will AUTOMATICALLY come in on the turn of your choosing beginning with Turn 2. You can also re-roll the scatter dice.
- Chapter Ancients lets you enjoy all of your Dreadnought types with exception to the Death Company dread.
- Lucifer Armored Task Forces will become the bane of Monstrous Creatures, Titans, and in particular, Knights because of Scout and free overchanged engines on ALL of the vehicles. And it's 1-3 Land Raiders
via Games Workshop
A campaign supplement for Warhammer 40,000, containing a story from the beginning of the 13th Black Crusade from the perspective of the Blood Angels, featuring new rules content for that Chapter.
The shadow of a huge fleet of Crimson Slaughter and Black Legion forces falls across the Diamor System, as Abaddon the Despoiler’s 13th Black Crusade is launched. This shadow is met by the righteous fury of the Blood Angels; leading a mighty coalition of Adeptus Mechanicus and Imperial Knights, the Sons of Sanguinius fight bitterly against the servants of Chaos.
Yet the fires of war that consume the worlds of the Diamor System are revealing dark secrets, harbingers of a terrible doom that even the Blood Angels will be hard-pressed to prevent coming to fruition…
The 136-page hardback Black Crusade: Angel’s Blade features a host of new rules content for Warhammer 40,000, to be used alongside Codex: Blood Angels:
- Updated datasheets for Blood Angels, including Terminator Captains, Death Company Chaplains, Assault Squads and Devastator Squads;
- Relics of the Lost; incredibly rare and powerful Death Company relics once borne by a Chapter member who succumbed to the Black Rage;
- Revised and updated Wargear of Baal;
- Death Company Tactical Objectives;
- 9 new Blood Angels Formations, an Angel’s Blade Strike Force and a Lost Brotherhood Strike Force;
- 3 new Altar of War missions: Death on the Wing, Honour of the Angels and No Matter the Odds.