The Dark Eldar codex release is only a few days away now, and even through a lot of the pre-release controversy I am excited for the release. There are some downsides, but for now I am looking ahead and seeing the Dark Eldar codex may be one of the more balanced codices that we have seen for quite some time for our army.


In the past the codex has been either listed as a one trick pony, spammed, or even forced into servitude by having to ally with other armies. This codex seems like it can stand on its own very well this time around, and my Kabalite Warriors are looking forward to their raiders once more. Simply giving them stealth makes them incredibly more durable on the tabletop, even with so many things that can remove cover in the game. I have fielded lots of raiders since 3rd edition without fail, and this codex for the first time in 7th edition feels like I will be able to do so with some vigor.

Venoms will be strong still, and the idea of fielding them as personal rides for my Archons sounds great, as does the ability for Archons (as well as Haemonculi) giving bonus's to power from pain sound promising.

A huge downside for me of course......... no ap2 close combat weapons for Archons. Shadowfields now do not go away mid shooting, but stick around until the phase ends (which is huge in my book), but the lack of an ap2 weapon seems like it was just forgotten about, or someone writing the book really doesnt like Archons. Giving them an ap2 weapon, even at a big cost, would of been a smarter move.

As for Grotesques', I am very excited to get the rules first hand. Wracks are still hit or miss for me, but the new ossefactor just works, and may bring my thinking back to how Wracks can be fielded.

Other huge benefits of the new codex..... fixed Mandrakes and Courts...... and oh yea..... Scourges! I am hugely excited for Scourges again. Its been awhile for these guys, but being able to take 4 weapons per 5 guys is big.

Things that suck..... Archons and Liquifiers. Also something that seems to be gone... Archons able to take Blasters. Sounds like I have some serious models to rip apart.

Overall though I am liking that they have seemed to fix a lot of things. Of course we are still pre-release, so a few days will open up a lot of new ideas as I dig through the codex this weekend. Still a little more than sad that an awesome new Vect model did not make the cut. GW can do wonders and has with the new End Times models, I would like to see a little of that effort go towards Vect and his Dais.
 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...