Invasion 2014 was the first official tournament for Dropzone Commander, and that featured the Hawk Wargames crew, a show of new models, new artwork, and a tons of gaming with 36 armies hitting the field.


A reader here has posted up a good report of what happened there, as well as his list and that of the armies he faced during the four games at the tournament. I find it very fascinating since we see very little reports like this around the net.

Seeing what other people brought to the tournament as well as detailed reports on how the battles went were great. I have noticed a lot that spamming  units in this game does not work that well over all, especially in what a tournament setting would look like. Its also what Dave envisioned of Dropzone Commander, that well balanced lists would have what it takes to win.

I have just posted up some highlights of his report. Please check out the link for more details.

from the comment section on Faeit 212
Mike BFebruary 4, 2014 at 4:58 AM
I was at Invasion, came second and our team won the team prize!! I was a really good event with 36 competitors.
I have written a review of the tournament on the Hawk Forum if anyone is interested 
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/hawkforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4072

via the Hawk Wargames Forums posted up by Mega Mike
The dust has settled on an absolutely fantastic weekend and firstly I want to say a massive thank you to Hawk Wargames for putting on a hugely enjoyable tournament and open weekend.
I play a lot of tournaments (40k mainly) and by far this was the most fun. I think the whole Dropzone community are on average just nicer gamers to play!

I took my beloved UCM. I really like the diversity in the units and how versatile the army is. Every unit has their job, they may not be spectacular but they get the job done. Below is my list – I have practiced a lot with it and practiced the missions – which helped design the list.

Command
Kodiak – Lieutenant
Ferrum
Armour
Sabres x3 with Condor (missile upgrade)
Rapiers x3 with Condor (missile upgrade)
Infantry
Legionnaires x2 with Raven
Legionnaires x2 with Raven
Infantry
Legionnaires x2 with Raven
Scouts
Wolverine A’s x4
Praetorians with Raven
Heavy
Gladius x4 with Condor x2 (missile upgrades)
Longbow x2 with Ravens x2 (missile upgrades)

Game 1 vs Shaltari
Chris Whittaker
Targets of Opportunity

Chris’ list (from what I remember): 
Coyote (LV 2) 
2 Jaguars
Dreamsnare
3 units of Braves
Warspear
2x3 Tomahawks
2x3 Kukuri 

4 Edens, 1 or 2 Spirits and 2 Havens

Game 2 vs PHR
Xavier Lindsey
Recon

Xavier’s list:
Zeus (CV5) and Odin
2 Janus
2 squads of Immortals in Tritons
Hades 
2 Erebos in Neptune
4 Apollos in 2 Neptunes
2 squads of 2 Phobos

Athena

Game 3 vs UCM
Jason Grimwood
Surging Strike

Jason’s list:
Kodiak (CV5) and Ferrum
2 squads of Legionnaires in Ravens with Ferrum
1 squad of Legionnaires in Raven with Rapiers in Condor
3 Sabres and 3 rapiers both with condors

2 Scimitars

Game 4 vs Scourge
Steve Hammond
Bunker Assault

Steve’s list
Desolator (CV5) 
4 minders Intruder
3x Warriors in Invader
3x Warriors in Invader sharing Marauder
3xHunter with Marauder
3xReaper with Marauder
2x Slayer with Razor Worms with Marauder
2x Corsair
1 Reaver
2x Aged Ones in Intruder

2x Aged Ones in Intruder

Game 5 vs Shaltari
Dan Cates
Military Complex

Dan’s list
Coyote (CV4) 
3 Yari
6x Tomahawk
3x Kukuri
2x Jaguars
3 squads of Braves
1 squad of Firstborns
Fire Drake

2 Edens, 2 Spirit and 4 Haven gates

Dave (from Hawk) kept a watchful eye over our table to see who would win, he was really happy that we were on the top table. He was a little worried that some of the power lists and people who spammed units were going to trounce the opposition, he said it was nice to see 2 really balanced lists at the top.


So I came second overall and won 5 out of 5. Huge congrats to Dan – he smashed up the opposition and had a healthy lead that I couldn't catch.

Conclusions on the army: It worked exactly how I wanted it to, I made very few mistakes and I capitalized on my opponents errors. I rolled pretty averagely over the weekend some good some bad. I learnt a couple of new tactics too. For instance staying in Condors turn 1 can really help push back the opponent.

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...